1995 Barros Colheita Port -- [bottled 2005]

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

1995 Barros Colheita Port -- [bottled 2005]

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Barros Colheita [1995 bottled 2005]

This will be my very first Colheita ever sampled… another giant leap for mankind (or at least Todd.) Not knowing whether to decant or not, I decided NOT and went with it straight out of the bottle, a la Aged Tawny style.

This wine is a dusty rose colour in the glass, but when turned to a 45 degree angle, oranges and browns jump out at the eye. Does not stick to the glass as much as I expected and the tears are fairly fast-running.

Nose is a tad astringent with alcohol, not too bad. I detect a bit of brown sugar or melted white sugar mixed with a subtle spicy note (cloves perhaps? AllSpice?) No fruit to speak of in the nose.

This has a nice, balanced entry with a thicker mouthfeel than an LBV, but not as viscous as some of the Aged Tawnies I have had of late. Again, the spice notes detected in the nose are in the mid, but is replaced by an alcohol on the very short finish. This wine has a smoothness that does not seem to be present in most of the tawnies I consume, but I cannot tell if I am enjoying this more or less.

I have resolved to do a side-by-side of this and several of my favourite aged Tawnies when I get the chance. For now I will enjoy this for what it is, an aged off-vintage that is complete and satisfying without knocking my socks off.

One nightcap consisting of this and then off to bed!

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I returned to this Colheita a few hours later after one of my children awoke with a nightmare and a scream that could have signified she was being murdered. Aiyiyiyieeee.

Anyway, after getting her back to sleep, I tried the same but was unable to. What better way to put ones self back into a mellow, relaxed mood than with some more great Port? :D

While I didn't post official TNs last night (finally down to page 11 of the archives of FTLOP) I did scribble something down in the dark:

"Spirit has integrated a tad bit more, but still a bit hot on the finish, which is still short. The spice notes that I detected before have refined themselves into what I am sure is cinnamon - not strong or overpowering at all, but subtle, almost like the ghost in an old paper latte cup that has been discarded. Still very tasty - wish I had more than a 375 as this one will not last to see it's 26th hour."
Last edited by Todd Pettinger on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Hi Todd ,
I tasted a Barros '83 colheita over the Easter weekend . Not overly sweet , leaning more to a good balance . But there still was evidence of sweetness ranging from vanilla to caramel up to prunes !!!

Luc
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Luc, was it a more recent bottling (your '83)? Like 20ish years? I'm wondering because mine (bottled after 10 years) was not totally Tawny-like in that I did not detect the vanilla, caramel or butterscotch that I taste in the majority of the Tawnies I drink (and that you indicated in yours.)

I'm thinking back and wondering about a small note scribbled on the very edge of the notepad... it may read "lemon zest?!?!?" which is very peculiar. Orange and orange zest I have tasted previously, but never anything like lemon?

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Todd ,
It most defenitely was a '83 .
The only other Colheita I've had was a Krohn 1958 . A golden honey looking , but the taste , my oh my :yumyum: :yumyum: sweet smell of almonds .

Luc
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Sorry Luc,

I think we misunderstood each other. I accept that it was an '83 harvest, but what year was it bottled in? I was wondering to see if it was 10 years, like mine but had perhaps further developed in the bottle (as I have read that the Colheitas sometimes can/do if unfiltered/unfined) or whether it was bottled in something like 2003 or 2005 making it 20-22 yrs in wood.

Thanks!

Todd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Todd,

I had a Quinta do Crasto 1996 colheita bottled 2005 last year. As you describe, it showed little of what I have learned to expect from a Tawny wine and still showed more like a soft and relatively forward style of Late Bottled Vintage.

Pleasant in its own way, but very different from the way I would expect a colheita say, from 1983 bottled in 2003 to show.

Alex
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

tpettinger wrote:Sorry Luc,

I think we misunderstood each other. I accept that it was an '83 harvest, but what year was it bottled in? I was wondering to see if it was 10 years, like mine but had perhaps further developed in the bottle (as I have read that the Colheitas sometimes can/do if unfiltered/unfined) or whether it was bottled in something like 2003 or 2005 making it 20-22 yrs in wood.

Thanks!

Todd
Ya , you're probably right .
Btw , the Krohn '58 was bottled in 2004 and I opened it in 2006 .
No sediments at all .
Once again , tasted as a Colheita should ( délicieux )
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

tanker wrote: Btw , the Krohn '58 was bottled in 2004 and I opened it in 2006 .
No sediments at all .
Once again , tasted as a Colheita should ( délicieux )
Now THAT is one I would love to try!

A shop near me has the Barros 1967, which is about 9 years older than I am. I'll have to check the bottling date to determine how 'old' it is but I would guess 2005. Sounds yummy, but it is rather pricey.

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Well , Todd ,
Their are a few bottles of Krohn 1958 available at the SAQ .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

You've got my interest! ;) How much are they going for.

I'll have to take a peek for any local, but may need to resort to a proxy purchase from my good friend Luc! :D
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Todd,
Krohn Colheita 1958 is 177$ at SAQ. It is probably not so pricey for people from Oil Country...!
Robin Levesque
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Hey Robin! :)
Unfortunately they know there is Oil out here so they feel justified in charging MORE! :)

Can't remember exactly how much the '67 Barros was but it was around $135 Cdn.

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

tpettinger wrote:You've got my interest! ;) How much are they going for.

I'll have to take a peek for any local, but may need to resort to a proxy purchase from my good friend Luc! :D

Todd ,
If you're still interested we can work something out or we can wait 'till you're in my neck of the woods .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Thanks Luc,

I'll take a look around town to see if there is something kicking around here (like I said, there may be, but the '67 is the earliest/oldest I've seen for the moment.)

I first have to finish sourcing my '77s for the wife's 30th birthday in August!

Todd