TN: 2001 Ferreira Esteva

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2001 Ferreira Esteva

Post by Andy Velebil »

So I saw the new topic forum this morning and, since I had to go to Beverages and More for more porto anyway, I thought I'd hunt down a Douro red wine to try since I've only had porto from the Douro region. So, found this little inexpensive bottle (about $8.00 US).

This is a very nice wine, especially considering how inexpensive it was. A sight port like nose at first, but that is where it ends. Almost no heat, very smooth and very well integrated. A bit of pepper and spice, and something else I can't quite place. I must say I am impressed for 8 dollars. Now, I think I must hunt down more out of the Douro. Any recommendations for higher end Douro red wines?

BTW, it is from the Ferreira Winery at Quinta do Seixo and made up of Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz, and Tinta Barroca grapes. It is imported by Broadbent Selections Inc.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

The next step in the Casa Ferreirinha wine portfolio is the Vinha Grande, a very good fruit bomb! especially the 2000.

Everything from this house is excellent, if you can find, try them
Quinta da Leda
Callabriga, especially the 99, the 2000 has too much wood right now, more international style.
Reserva, especially the 96
Barca Velha the newest on the market is 95, completly shut at the moment, should be approchable from 2010.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
jfgmmg

Post by jfgmmg »

Hi everybody,

Since this is my first posting here I would like to greet you all, specially Roy for the excelent site and initiatives. Wine is a recent passion for me, one that I think will never go away.
Fred_Quebec wrote:The next step in the Casa Ferreirinha wine portfolio is the Vinha Grande, a very good fruit bomb! especially the 2000.

Everything from this house is excellent, if you can find, try them
Quinta da Leda
Callabriga, especially the 99, the 2000 has too much wood right now, more
international style.
Both the Callabriga and Quinta da Leda are very good wines. The Callabriga is being sold at prohibitive high prices here in the US ($50). Early this year I bought a couple of Callabriga 99 bottles in Portugal for around 17€ (~$20)*. So if anyone is planning to go to the Douro or to any other place in Portugal, maybe it's better to wait and buy them there.

* - I think you can find it in some portuguese Web stores, but there's always the risk of the long trip.
jfgmmg

Re: Ferreira Esteva 2001 (red Wine)

Post by jfgmmg »

cofidis2 wrote: Any recommendations for higher end Douro red wines?

BTW, it is from the Ferreira Winery at Quinta do Seixo and made up of Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz, and Tinta Barroca grapes. It is imported by Broadbent Selections Inc.
You should try the Cistus Reserva 2001 or it's big brother, the Grande Reserva (but I don't know where to buy it). Excellent value for money.
Another one that represents good value for money, and you can find it easily in a BevMo is the Duas Quintas 2001. Altough it's not spectacular, it's much better with food and you should open it 1h before drinking it.
Some friends also told me that the Sogrape Douro Reserva 99 it's quite good, and you can also find it in BevMo.

Btw, one that it's not from the Douro, but can give a glimpse of Douro is the Esporão Reserva 2001, from Alentejo. Why? Being a really good wine, it's made of Trincadeira, Aragonês and Cab. Sauvignon. Well, Trincadeira is known in the Douro by Tinta Amarela, and Aragonês is our old friend Tempranillo, aka elsewhere in Portugal by Tinta Roriz. So you'll have two Port grape varieties in this wine and, once again...BevMo (in this store, always look also in the Spanish Wines section as sometimes they confuse the origins :evil: ). Of course, there is the terroir and that's important, but give it a try. You can spot the Tinta Amarela immediately on the nose...

Let us know of your discoveries :wink:
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Ferreira Esteva 2001 (red Wine)

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

cofidis2 wrote:So I saw the new topic forum this morning and, since I had to go to Beverages and More for more porto anyway . . .
Andy,

João is quite right.

While there, you may also want to try some of the other Portuguese reds they often carry:

Ramos Pintos Duas Quintas (Douro)
Sogrape Reserva (Douro)

Heredad de Esporao Vinho Tinto (Alentejo)
Quinta Do Carmo "Don Martinho" (Alentejo)
Quinta Do Carmo Reserva (Alentejo)
Sogrape Vinha do Monte (Alentejo)

With the exception of the Qta. do Carmo Reserva, which is co-owned by Domaines Rothschild (Lafite), all of the above wines are less than $15.

The Duas Quintas is a semi-house wine of ours, and don't let the name Sogrape foll you. Yes, they make Mateus, but the Vinha do Monte and Douro reserva are really delicious and offer great QPR!

Cheers,
Jason
Last edited by Jason Brandt Lewis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!
Frederick Blais

You should try the Cistus Reserva 2001 or it's big brother, the Grande Reserva (but I don't know where to buy it). Excellent value for money.
I agree with you, Cistus are producing very good Douro wine. Some in a more traditionnal fashion like the reserva and Grand Reserva but also in a more internationnal style like the Tourigal Nacional cuvée. They also produce a very good Tinta Roriz cuvée. I bought both from the 2002 vintage, recently, less than 5000 bottles are produced, so it is hard to get a hand on it.

I'm going in Portugal next week and I'm trying to make arrangement to visit them, I'll let you know!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks for the info. Sunday and Monday i will be traking some down to try. Can't wait. :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
jfgmmg

Post by jfgmmg »

Fred_Quebec wrote: I agree with you, Cistus are producing very good Douro wine. Some in a more traditionnal fashion like the reserva and Grand Reserva but also in a more internationnal style like the Tourigal Nacional cuvée. They also produce a very good Tinta Roriz cuvée. I bought both from the 2002 vintage, recently, less than 5000 bottles are produced, so it is hard to get a hand on it.
Hmm, never heard of the those 2 wines; the coming Christmas I'll try to "hunt" them down in Portugal. ;)
Fred_Quebec wrote: I'm going in Portugal next week and I'm trying to make arrangement to visit them, I'll let you know!
Nice, Fred. I look forward for your feedback. ;)
jfgmmg

Post by jfgmmg »

cofidis2 wrote:Thanks for the info. Sunday and Monday i will be traking some down to try. Can't wait. :D
How did it go Andy? Any surprises?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I only found a few at the local Beverages and more. FOr the most part they were all around the $10-$15 (US) dollar range. So far I've only got to try Quinta Do Carmo "Don Martinho" (Alentejo) 2001. I wasn't too impressed and didn't take any notes. But from memory, it was rather light bodied, not complex, and a very simple QPR wine (at $11.00 US). I'm not sure I'd buy this one again. I prefered the 2001 Ferreira Douro Esteva to this one.

THe bad news is I got a nasty little virus (read, severe bronchitis) from all the people I work with/around (the "other" hazard of being a cop). So the doctor gave me a slew of drugs and said no alcohol, darn :cry: So it will be at least a week before I can drink again. But I am looking forward to trying the remaining wines.

Here are the others I picked up:

2001 Herdade do Esporão Reserva
1999 Vinhos Sogrape Douro Reserva

I have a lead on some other higer end stuff, so hopefully that works out.
Frederick Blais

Andy, I should meet the team behind Cistus, I've got confirmation from their agent here, just waiting for a confirmation date.

I should taste their new red wine that is still in barrel right now, the Baron Villar Reserva red, I think 2003 will be the first release. Watch for that wine, only 700-800 bottles should hit the market!

You can take a look at their web site: http://www.vinkowines.com/
jfgmmg

Post by jfgmmg »

cofidis2 wrote: THe bad news is I got a nasty little virus (read, severe bronchitis) from all the people I work with/around (the "other" hazard of being a cop). So the
Gee, bad luck Andy. :( I wish you a quick recovery! :wink:

cofidis2 wrote:I only found a few at the local Beverages and more. FOr the most part they were all around the $10-$15 (US) dollar range. So far I've only got to try Quinta Do Carmo "Don Martinho" (Alentejo) 2001. I wasn't too impressed and didn't take any notes. But from memory, it was rather light bodied, not complex, and a very simple QPR wine (at $11.00 US). I'm not sure I'd buy this one again. I prefered the 2001 Ferreira Douro Esteva to this one.
Totally agree with you. I also felt the same disappointment when I tried it. And yes, light bodied with a short finish. Fortunately, the Quinta do Carmo and Quinta do Carmo Reserva are much better.
cofidis2 wrote: Here are the others I picked up:

2001 Herdade do Esporão Reserva
1999 Vinhos Sogrape Douro Reserva

I have a lead on some other higer end stuff, so hopefully that works out.
Let me know about the Sogrape as I feel some curiosity about this wine. Btw, the Esteva is very popular in restaurants in Portugal and it's always a safe "escape" when facing a Wine list with lots of unknown and expensive wines.

Last weekend I had two wines that I bought in a local Portuguese store, both from Caves Aliança. The first, Quinta dos Quatro Ventos 2001 * from the Douro, which is considered to be a good wine in Portugal, let me slightly frustrated. But I'm sure that it had to do with bottle and the (really bad) way it was stored. Although with some nice aromas, with some dark fruit still present, in the mouth the wine was completely dead with a short finish. Close to the glass "borders" it was already brownish. Nonetheless, the wine got a 90 from Wine Spectator so I'll definitely try it again.

Fortunately, the other one, Quinta da Terrugem 2000 from Alentejo, was much better: good fruit, nice oak integration with some vanilla flavours and a long finish. Good and controlled acidity (the wine is already 5 years old...). I recommend this one and you should get it for ~ $20-25.

It was interesting to compare both these wines alongside with an Edna Valley 2003 Syrah.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred_Quebec wrote:Andy, I should meet the team behind Cistus, I've got confirmation from their agent here, just waiting for a confirmation date.

I should taste their new red wine that is still in barrel right now, the Baron Villar Reserva red, I think 2003 will be the first release. Watch for that wine, only 700-800 bottles should hit the market!

You can take a look at their web site: http://www.vinkowines.com/
Fred,
Thanks for the heads up...let me know when it it getting ready for distrubution...

BTW, have a safe trip!