May 2007 Virtual Tasting Theme Suggestions

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

since most of us cannot get our hands on some old obscure bottle of tawny thats been lying around....this month is just ANY ruby or Reserve Ruby.

I got a Quinta de la Rosa Ruby Port

TN to follow shortly
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Might have guessed you would opt for a young one, Andy :roll:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

:twisted:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Ty for starting the new topic Andy, these days I almost only work and sleep :cry:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Trifle

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

KillerB wrote:trifle
So. our two heroes are wondering in the Sahara. They have been lost for — they can’t remember how long — and are extremely thirsty. Extremely thirsty. When, in the distance, they see what might be a mirage, what might be settlement, they don’t know.

Much stumbling later they arrive at what appear to be three small residences, each fronted by a small stall. They approach the first.
— [A very croaky dry voice] “We want to buy some water. We’re very thirsty. We want to buy water.”
— “Sorry sir”, comes the reply, “we have only sherry. No water in stock.”
They move to the second stall.
— [Again, a very croaky dry voice] “We want to buy some water. We’re very thirsty. We want to buy water. We have dollars. We have pounds. We need water.”
— The stall holder replies “Sorry sir, only custard left in stock. Would sir care for some Birds Custard?”
They move to the third stall.
— [In the same croaky dry voice] “We want to buy some water. We’re very thirsty. We want to buy water. We have dollars. We have pounds. We even have euros. We want to buy some water.”
— “Sorry sir, I can sell you sugar. Would you care for sugar.”

As they start to walk away, one of our heroes says to the other:
— “that was weird. That was really weird.”
— “Yes”, says the other to the one. ”That was a trifle bazaar”.
Tom Archer

Q. De La Rosa finest reserve

Post by Tom Archer »

OK I'll get this one in before Andy - and mine's the posh variety too.. 8)

A half bottle - completely undated, and very little clue as to it's age.

Driven cork - almost unheard of for this class of wine - and unfiltered.

On the nose fruity, but with that slightly harsh note that seems to typify the cheaper offerings..

Very full and gluggable on the palate, with quite a respectable finish - except that the last glass is half filled with flaky sediment...

It's a crusted port really, but by selling it as a reserve, they're clearly making a serious bid for 'best in class'

I'm interested to know whether Andy's bottle of Ruby is stoppered and filtered..?

Tom
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 05, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil

Re: Q. De La Rosa finest reserve

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:
I'm interested to know whether Andy's bottle of Ruby is stoppered and filtered..?

Tom
Their web site states it is "Lightly filtered" so I am not really sure what that means in terms of how much sediment they filter out before bottling.

By stoppered, you mean a T-cork or a driven cork?? If that is the case, it had a regular driven cork, just like on a VP (only a little shorter).

I must say the basic Ruby I had was more like an LBV than a ruby. Quite the bargain at only $10 (US). I give them credit for putting out a higher quality product for less money. I'll have to see if I can find the "Finest Reserve" and some others from Q.d.L.Rosa to try.

BTW, the TN's for this month go here
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... php?t=2759
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Last time I looked at Roy's tasting notes, QDLR didn't get a single mention - I suspect he might be missing a trick here...

I've got one their first VP's (1988) on death row at the moment..

Tom

PS For the benefit of those who haven't done their homework... - prior to '88, Rosa's wine was sold to other shippers, and was the cornerstone of Robertson's Rebello Valente.

T.

PPS - Yes, Stoppered = T cork