November 6th - London Port Offline - Details of the Day

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

November 6th - London Port Offline - Details of the Day

Post by Al B. »

OK folks. We now have 12 people who have said they will attend the tasting I am organising in London on the afternoon of Sunday November 6th. This is the number I was aiming for, so I am really pleased. We can probably squeeze one or two more people round the table if anyone is desperately keen to be there, just let me know.

The venue will be the Crusting Pipe wine bar in central Covent Garden (one of the Davy's wine bar chain). The manager there is a VP fan and will be joining us for the tasting. I also like the Port theme in the name and the fact that Ian (the manager) offers a wider selection of VP's by the glass than I normally find in a wine bar - Dow 1970 by the glass, for example! Nearest tube stations are Covent Garden (Piccadilly Line), Leicester Square (Piccadilly Line and Northern Line) or Charing Cross (Northern Line and Bakerloo Line). The full address of the Crusting Pipe is 27 The Market, Covent Garden, WC2E 8RD. Essentially, it is a sunken courtyard in the middle of the market square. You can access their website through http://www.davy.co.uk and then selecting the Crusting Pipe from the wine bar drop down menu.

Cost will be £50 each, payable on the day. This will cover the venue costs, a three course meal, glass hire, bottled water and corkage. In addition, each person will need to bring with them an opened and decanted bottle of VP (check it's not corked when you decant it). I will work through the private message system to agree with each person attending which wine they will bring. More on this further down the posting.

Dress code will be casual. I will be in jeans and my trusty dark red shirt.

I will visit the Crusting Pipe on Thursday and will pick up a menu, which I will post on the forum for people to review. If you have any special dietary requirements, then please let me know as soon as possible.

The theme for the day will be "Four Decades On - Give or Take". The intention is that we will taste wines from the same four producers from each of the vintages 1963, 1966 and 1970. This will allow us not only to look for the "house style" that each label works for but also to compare vintages against each other. Please would you drop me a private message through the forum to let me know which wines you have from these vintages where you would be willing to contribute a bottle for the tasting. I will then take on the challenge of shuffling the emails to try and come out with the same four producers for the entire tasting. I'll start the ball rolling by saying that I can contribute one of the following bottles: 1963 Taylors, 1963 Fonseca, 1963 Sandeman or 1966 Fonseca. I hang my head in shame and confess that I have no wines from 1970!

We will aim to start at 2pm with the meal. (Derek and Jo are having to travel quite a distance to get to London and so will be relying on the rail system to deliver them to King's Cross on time to be able to make a 2pm start - having our meal first gives them the chance to be delayed a little but not to miss out on the tasting. If they arrive on time then we may eat each course of the meal between each of the flights of wine). We will follow the meal with the tasting in the form of three flights of four wines with each flight corresponding to each vintage.

After that comes the opportunity for free-form gossip. We have our table until the restaurant closes at 8pm and have to leave the venue entirely when the wine bar closes at 9pm. I would estimate that we would have finished the tasting by 5pm so if people had far to travel or had to leave shortly after 5pm, that should not be a problem.

And finally, if the day is a success, I will try to organise another tasting in Spring 2006 to coincide with Roy's next visit to London. The theme of that tasting will be "A Complete Vertical of 13 Vintages of Vesuvio - 1989 to 2003".

Alex
Last edited by Al B. on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Brilliant.

I am very excited to meet you folks and drink Ports with the UK gang. The theme sounds fantastic. I really do think that limiting the table to 12 people and 12 wines is perfect. That allows for nearly 2 oz. pours. I have a feeling this will be a 3-4 hour tasting overall. So it is good to have a meal to fill in some of the hollow legs.

I will be shipping wine to a friends office on Friday, so I hope you can tell me which wine to bring. I can provide a wide range of '66s and '70s, so just let me know what you'd like. My '63 stocks have been vastly depleted in past years and I don't buy more of 'em anymore. In a pinch, I could come up with a bottle though. In a "worst" case scenario, we could spread out to 3 vintages, 5 producers if you really want to have 3 more ppl join us. But to have 13 or 14 makes no sense. More than 15 and the pours are not worthy, IMO.

Your efforts are most appreciated!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

We now have our first "mini vertical" confirmed for Sunday 6th of November - Taylors 63, 66 and 70.

Does anyone attending the event have a bottle of Sandeman 66 they would be happy to contribute? I currently have an offer of a '63 and a '70 so that could become our second mini vertical.

Thanks,

Alex
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Does anyone attending the event have a bottle of Sandeman 66 they would be happy to contribute? I currently have an offer of a '63 and a '70 so that could become our second mini vertical.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex,
I would be happy to bring a '66 Sandeman from my cellar for this memorable event!

Nicos [/quote]
YOLO
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Nicos,

The Sandeman 66 would be perfect. Thank you. (Derek - please could you and Jo bring the Sandemans 63 and 70.) People who I have private messaged and suggested to bring, or buy and bring, the Sandeman 66 please look below at alteratives.

That now completes the Sandeman mini-vertical to go with the Taylors.

Currently I have the Grahams 70 offered. Ian has offered either the Grahams 66 or the Grahams 63 - can anyone who has not yet committed to a wine supply one of these so that Ian can bring the other?

Also, I have had offers of the Fonseca 70 and the Fonseca 66. I can bring the Fonseca 63 to complete this vertical but I am currently commited to bringing the Taylors 63. If anyone not already committing a wine can provide a bottle of Taylors '63 (or buy mine at cost) then I will happily bring a Fonseca '63 instead and complete that vertical.

So it looks like with luck and a favourable wind, we will have mini-verticals to taste against each other of Taylors, Fonseca, Grahams and Sandeman. 3 flights of four great wines. Fabulous!

I have also had lots of requests from people who would like to bring "oddments and ususual bottles" so I have decided to stretch the theme of the tasting slightly to add a fourth flight of "Curiosities". You are welcome to bring what you like for this flight, just remember:

(i) the venue charges £10 per bottle corkage, so be prepared to pay extra if lots of people bring extra wine;

(ii) that you have to decant the wine and then carry it with you to Covent Garden;

(iii) you have to manage to find your way home - hard enough after a single bottle of port each!!

Thanks for your support and enthusiasm. This event is coming together really well.

Alex
Al B.

Menu for November 6th

Post by Al B. »

Below is the current menu for the Crusting Pipe. This is the October menu and will have changed slightly when the event takes place, but it gives you an idea of the food choice.

STARTERS
* Soup of the day with crusty bread
* Scottish smoked salmon with balsamic syrup dressed leaves and pink peppercorns
* Chicken liver pate served with onion marmalade and toast
* Buffalo mozzarella, vine tomato and basil with pesto dressing
* Smoked venison served on a bed of rocket drizzled with lemon infused olive oil and topped with parmesan shavings
* Potted shrimps

MAIN COURSES
* Plate of roast topside of beef served cold with horseradish, dressed mixed salad and la ratte potatoes
* Plate of finest alderton ham served cold with a piccalilli relish, dressed mixed salad and la ratte potatoes
* Smoked chicken caesar salad with cos lettuce, croutons and parmesan shavings
* Fusilli pasta with chilli cream and tomato sauce, pine nuts and shaved parmesan
* Charcoal grilled swordfish steak drizzled with lemon infused olive oil and served with rocket mash and green beans
* Bangers and mash; cumberland sausages served with traditional mashed potatoes and onion gravy
* Calves liver and bacon served with traditional mashed potatoes and warm onion marmalade
* Charcoal grilled sirloin steak with grilled tomato, la ratte potatoes and green beans
* Charcoal grilled breast of chicken served with a tarragon sauce, dauphinoise potatoes and green beans

CHEESE BOARD AND PUDDINGS
* Treacle tart or Normandy apple tart served with clotted cream
* Rich chocolate truffle cake served with a raspberry coulis
* Farmhouse cheddar or mature blue stilton or unpasteurised Brie de Meaux
* Cheese board for two
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

Happy to bring the Sandeman 63 & 70.

The curiosity tasting sounds like fun :D

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Here's the latest update.

We have now completed the Fonseca vertical - at least Mario has committed to bringing the Fonseca 1970 if we can find a supplier who can deliver one in the UK in time.

That gives us mini-verticals of Fonseca, Taylors and Sandeman and 2/3rds of the mini-vertical for Grahams.

Plus the curiosity flight. If you let me know through Private Message if there is anything that you would like to bring for the curiosities then I will look and see if there are any sensible flights that come together.

Alex
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

nicos neocleous wrote:I would be happy to bring a '66 Sandeman from my cellar for this memorable event! Nicos
Nicos - Nice to know you are coming to this tasting too. It will be a pleasure to see you again (this time in London). No doubt Port Wine puts people together :) . Um Abraço. /Mário.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

We now have all the wines for November 6th agreed and listed out below. There are still a couple that need to be purchased, but we are sorting those out via private message. Next to each of the wines is the name of the person who I believe has agreed to bring each wine. If I've made a mistake then please let me know - through private message to spare my embarrasment.

Alex

FONSECA
1963 - Me
1966 - Nick
1970 - Mario

GRAHAM
1963 - Either Christopher or Ian (depends on what Christopher buys)
1966 - Either Christopher or Ian (depends on what Christopher buys)
1970 - Justin

SANDEMAN
1963 - Derek and Jo
1966 - Nicos
1970 - Derek and Jo

TAYLORS
1963 - Alex K (I'll decant and bring this)
1966 - Roy
1970 - Linden
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Christopher

Please can you send me a private message with your email address. I have been trying to send you a private message for some days now but it doesn't seem to be leaving my outbox.

If you could private message me we can then continue our discussions about the wine that you can bring on November 6.

Thanks,

Alex
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Now that I've been able to get in touch with Christopher, I have been able to finalise the wines for November 6. The final list is as set out below.

Alex

FONSECA
1963 - Me
1966 - Nick
1970 - Mario (I'll decant and bring this)

GRAHAM
1963 - Christopher
1966 - Ian
1970 - Justin

SANDEMAN
1963 - Derek and Jo
1966 - Nicos
1970 - Derek and Jo

TAYLORS
1966 - Roy
1970 - Linden
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

.... What a beautiful lineup !!!
I'm sure this London event will be a memorable one for years to come ... 8)
thank you Alex for putting all those Great Ports together.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Amen. I am actually more excited to meet you folks from this BB then even comparing the wines ... which of course will be fun too.

Until then ....
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I always find the enjoyment of the wines secondary to the enjoyment of the people. You can have a great time with rubbish wines and great people - on this occasion the wines will be great and so will the people.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Wow, what a set of Ports...wish I could join you...hopefully in January!
Al B.

Final Instructions for November 6

Post by Al B. »

The last pieces of the jigsaw are now in place. All the wines are sorted, as shown below. Please decant your wines on the Sunday morning before travelling to the Crusting Pipe and make a note of the time that you decant your wine so that we can make a note as we taste.

Ideally, please double decant back into the bottle so that we can have the original bottles to admire. (I always rinse the bottle with water and then rinse the water out with a ruby or LBV to make sure there is no dilution.) Obviously, please also make sure that your wine is not corked - which means you don't have to totally resist tasting the wine before you bring it with you :roll:

The event will start at 2pm, but I will be there to savour the atmosphere (and to decant a couple of the wines) from noon. Anyone arriving early is welcome to join me for a drink and a chat as we wait - although it will probably be a non-alcoholic drink as I don't intend to spit many of the ports we taste :wink:

The wines are:
FONSECA
1963 - Me
1966 - Nick
1970 - Mario (I'll decant and bring this)

GRAHAM
1963 - Christopher (at the Crusting Pipe, I will decant when I arrive)
1966 - Ian (at the Crusting Pipe, I will decant when I arrive)
1970 - Justin

SANDEMAN
1963 - Derek and Jo
1966 - Nicos
1970 - Derek and Jo

TAYLORS
1966 - Roy
1970 - Linden (I'll decant and bring this)
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Alex,

Will there be any cheese or chocolate to accompany or should we bring some along?

Alex
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

While at Quinta do Noval the other day, they offered to ante up the 3 vintages for us. I thought it would be better to concentrate on only 4 producers this time, but those bottles can be had for the next time. The better news is about the NEXT tasting, this coming spring ... the vertical of the Vesuvios. But I will deliver this in person.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I was going to bring some water biscuits to nibble on.

There is a really nice chocolate desert on the menu and also a nice cheeseboard, so if we want something chocolately / cheesy, its there to choose.

But feel free to bring things with you.

Alex