Cigars with Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jamie Kutch

Cigars with Madeira

Post by Jamie Kutch »

This past weekend I got married! At the wedding we served Cubans cigars with Broadbent 10 year Malmsey Madeira. The pairing was perfection (given the price point of the Madeira). Anyone else have a favorite pairing with a stogie?
- Kutch
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I like Scotch with my cigars. The smokiness of the drink goes with the smoke. If not Scotch, a good LBV Port works well.
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

Jamie -first a big congratulation on your wedding! So you have gone from Pinot to Stogies & Madeira ....

You are a lucky man if your bride puts up with you after smoking stogies ...at my house this is usually a ritual for boys night...Having said that I would say that my favorite is LBV ports as I find that the cigars change the taste perception of a fine port & vice versa. The lbv's are rich and tasty and hold up well - give it a try! :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jamie,

Congrats to you and K on tying the knot. Glad you really liked that cigar combo with the Broadbent. It is perfect for a stogie as you mentioned, given the price and it is quite nice on its own too.

I look forward to seeing you again later in the year. This weekend I am going to open (or give) my brother Mitch a bottle of you PN, as he is yet to try it. The Salmon run is just about done, but the Yukon River Kings should be out any day now. Perfect with PN.

Thanks for stopping by here and bringing up a very popular topic!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

Roy you should know better than to give your brother any Pinot that is not from the land of Burgundy -I know a few pinot heads here that will no doubt show higher appreciation for Mr. Kutch's efforts ....LOL.....
As for the Salmon a friend just came back from Seattle with a 30lb Chinook which I helped cut up into quarters and vacuum package -it was so good that we ended up devouring some of it raw in the kitchen Sashimi style...(with a bottle of JH& A Strub Spatlese 2005 that we were testing to help wash it down...) You are lucky to have a good source of omega 3& 6 to fortify your system for all those ports you must endure .... :P
Jamie Kutch

Post by Jamie Kutch »

Paul,
Thanks for the welcome and the Congrat's. Maybe one day I can find myself at one of your boy's nights. I'll bring the Cigars and the Pinot!

Roy,
Thanks for the quick update as well as the Congrats. I appreciate you sharing a bottle of my juice with your bro. I have interacted with him many a times about Burgundy and I look forward to the day we can all sit down around a table.

Your pairing was spot on as you obviously read. Thanks. Enjoy the fishing. Sounds like a blast!
- Kutch
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

You are always welcome -we always look forward to visits...I have a sneaking suspicion though that I may end up seeing you in Lompoc Pinot Prison one of these days -I'll let you know next time I come out to the left coast.
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

montecristo no.2 (cuban)and Remy martin xo is my perfect combination
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I prefer the sweeter styles with my cigar. While I've never smoked while drinking the Broadbent, I can see how that would be a great combo. I think any good Malmsey or Bual would be right with a smoke.

As far as the preferred cigar, I would pick a Cuban Monte #2 or Hoyo double corona if I had a stock of them. If I don't, then I go with a Dominican Le Gloria Cubana double corona.

All the best,
John
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

This past weekend saw my family out of town, so cigars were on the menu. I found that my 1995 Warre's LBV went nicely with my Gloria Cubana Series R #6. The cigar really can dull the taste of whatever you happen to be drinking with it, though......

Rich
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

I used to smoke cigars. I've even had pre-castro Havanas that were in a cigar cellar for 25 years when I bought them. I quit all tobacco 7 years ago. Best decision I ever made. If you want to murder your taste buds, go right ahead, but I can guaranty that once you quit, you will taste nuances that you could never imagine while your mouth was full of tar and nictoine all the time.
Thanks Roy
Otto Nieminen

Re: Cigars with Madeira

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Jamie Kutch wrote:This past weekend I got married! At the wedding we served Cubans cigars with Broadbent 10 year Malmsey Madeira. The pairing was perfection (given the price point of the Madeira). Anyone else have a favorite pairing with a stogie?
Congratulations! I love oxidative wines with cigars, yet I cannot stand un-oxidative wines with them. Sherries and Madeiras are my favourites with a smoke, but I won't turn down a glass of an oxidative-styled Port either. If you haven't tried them, I would suggest you try other oxidative wines also - I find that it isn't the sweetness but namely the oxidative character that causes some wines to work with a smoke.

I cannot think of a better accompaniment to a good book than a VORS Sherry and a strong Cuban (like Partagas or Bolivar).

-O-
Julian D. A. Wiseman

a lifetime’s supply of good cigars

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

In the late 1990s I bought myself a treat: a lifetime’s supply of good cigars. Mostly Partagas Lusitania (becoming an ever-better smoke with the passage of time), though some others for variety. A great treat, a few times a month. And with west-coast malt: typically Islay, or Skye, or Oban.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

In the late 1990s I bought myself a treat: a lifetime’s supply of good cigars. Mostly Partagas Lusitania (becoming an ever-better smoke with the passage of time), though some others for variety. A great treat, a few times a month. And with west-coast malt: typically Islay, or Skye, or Oban.
How much is a lifetimes worth? At one time, I had 40+ boxes. Now I have about 20 left. The Lusitanias are great with some age on them!
Julian D. A. Wiseman

a lifetime’s supply was about 500 sticks

I smoke three(ish) a month, which used to be four a month. So a lifetime’s supply was about 500 sticks. A few extra boxes have been bought since, but that’s now it.
Alex R

Post by Alex R »

I finally broke down and tried a glass of Madeira (Broadbent 10yr. per Roy) with a cigar (h.upmann sir Winston Cuban) and I was not disappointed, I really enjoy it. The Madeira stood up to the cigar with real strong notes of Carmel on the finish. :yumyum:
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Cigar + Madeira

Advice noted, and will be tested.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex, was this your first Madeira :?:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Actually, I also feel madeira is my favorite pairing as well for cigars. Carbonated water is second.

Pinot has to be from Burgundy!
Port has to be from Portugal!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Alex R

Post by Alex R »

Hey andy,this was my 2nd bottle of madeira ,but first with a cigar.what do you think of my half ass tasting note. Do I smell a madeira offline
Last edited by Alex R on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.