TN: 1922 D'Oliveiras Bual Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

TN: 1922 D'Oliveiras Bual Vintage Madeira

Post by Jay Hack »

I managed to get what appears to be the last bottle in the retail distribution chain in the US until RWC can get some more from the producer. RWC was out, they sent me to the NY distributor, who gave me a list of every retailer who had bought a bottle in the last 2 years. I found one bottle only 6 blocks from my office.

My mother's birth year wine for her 85th birthday celebration. The whole family was there. My niece, age 21 and fresh out of the Cornell University wine appreciation course, absolutely flipped over the fact that she was going to drink a wine that old and she was barely street legal.

PS - the private room at Bottega del Vino in NYC is expensive, especially if you have 13 people and there is a 15 person minimum, but my mother cried so many times (when I said that the DuMol was the same wine they had just served at the White House to the Queen of England, When I mentioned the borth year wine, when my niece gave a little speech, etc.) that it was worth it. You only get to be 85 years old once.

Oh - the TN - I prefer them a little sweeter, but this was very very good, Nutty, acid like citrus, very long finish. So long that I spilled some on my pants leg and you could still smell it 4 days later!
Thanks Roy
Paul David

Re: 1922 D'Oliveiras Madeira

Post by Paul David »

Jay Hack wrote: I spilled some on my pants leg and you could still smell it 4 days later!
Great story congrats to your mom -it's the last sentence that got me a bit worried about you :twisted:
Jay Hack

Re: 1922 D'Oliveiras Madeira

Post by Jay Hack »

Paul David wrote:
Jay Hack wrote: I spilled some on my pants leg and you could still smell it 4 days later!
Great story congrats to your mom -it's the last sentence that got me a bit worried about you :twisted:
Four days later, as in when I took the pants to the cleaners to have them dry cleaned.
Thanks Roy
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

I'm surprised to hear this wine's stock at the retail level is dwindling, it used to be readily available. It was one of the first "serious" Madeiras I tried and I have fond memories of it.

I think D'Oliveira still has some in cask and hopefully more will be available in the future (with more cask age!).
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

RWC keeps them coming periodically....Alas the price keeps creeping up -what else is new? I wish I could figure out a way to put the stuff in my 401K... (registered retirement fund for you internationals out there)
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Paul David wrote:RWC keeps them coming periodically....Alas the price keeps creeping up -what else is new?[/size]
Yeah, I wish I had more money and bought more Madeiras even just 5 years ago. My Madeiras have definitely been outpacing my mutual funds. :)
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

Yeah unfortunately I was asleep at the switch as well. Don't get me wrong I am in need of more Madeira for future consumption purpose -not price speculation ....Hey Roy ! maybe we can form a FTLOP purchasing syndicate and go after a cask -I am sure you have looked into this before? is this feasible ?