1983 vs. 1985 Vintage Ports

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

1983 vs. 1985 Vintage Ports

Post by Roy Hersh »

What is your preference and why?

Let the games begin! :D
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

It's been a long time since I sat down and did any side-by-side comparisons, but I own more 1983s than 1985s, and I certainly prefer the values the 1983s offer!

Cheers,
Jason
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!
KenBirman

My vote: 1985 (based on very limited data!)

Post by KenBirman »

In fact I've only had a few opportunities to compare the 1983 and 1985 ports, but I have a case each of the Graham's from these two vintages and have been opening bottles from both.

To my palate, the 1985 Graham's is a more complete and complex wine. Both are in the sweet, almost candied, style that Graham's favors -- a style I happen to prefer to the more traditional "raisin" nose of a wine like Taylors, although I like Taylors and Fonseca and Dow too...

Anyhow, I'm finding that while the two wines are unmistakably from the same producer, the 1983 is a slightly lighter and less rich port, a bit simpler, and lacks the almost endless finish of the 1985. The 1985 also holds the alcohol in a more seamless way; I find the 1983 a bit hot.

If the 85 deserves, say, 96pts right now, the 83 is more like 93pts.

My guess is that these are vintage characteristics, so I'll toss in a vote for 1985. But the bottom line is that while I've had a few other ports from both vintages, I don't really have a clear impression and my vote is basically meaningless! (Except with respect to Grahams).
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Great topic! To my palate I prefer the 1985 to the 1983... but just barely. The top houses actually did better in one year or the other, but it's not consistant. For example, I think 1985 Fonseca and Grahams are superior to their 1983 versions, but 1983 Dow's is stunning... better than the 1985. Same with Gould-Campbell -- The 1983 is my preference. I haven't had the so called lesser houses recently, but I recall that I much preferred the 1985 versions of these over the years (I'm talking about guys like Quarles Harris, Osborne, etc). The 1985 were more complete, bigger, and more pleasurable.

-Dave-
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

In any wine I'm tasting I'm always looking for balance as the first structure quality for the wine. If the balance is there then you can better enjoy the other components.

For this reason I prefer the 83 over the 85. Probably the best wine of 85 are better than the bests of 83 but the quality of the latter is more homogenious. As stated above, Dow 83 is a real nice port for the Vintage and I had nice surprises from Smith Woodhouse and Ramos Pinto too.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

It was not so clear in the 90's but 83 has an edge on 85 for consistancy and a broader good showing of the vintage. 85 was supposed to a blockbuster vintage of the century. Has not worked out that way.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I came across this topic and found that it needs some updating with some new voices. I am sure there have been many a bottle tasted from these two vintages since the last posting here.

Your opinions?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW :shock: nothing like a 2-year-old post that has come back to life. And you are right, in 2 years I've gone to having just a couple from these two years to more than I can remember off the top of my head. Thank goodness I write down all the ports that I drink.

I will chose 1983.

I've many good to excellant bottles from this vintage, more so than from 1985. To name a few, the '83s from Warre, Dow, Gould Campbell, cockburns, and even a Croft LBV.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

Hello my good friends!
:P
Really nice and interesting topic, altough this one it's really really easy to solve... there's no chance...

1983 with no doubts!!!

Not that 85 is worst, but I still consider it that 2nd best from the 80's, I'm the biggest fan I think in the Forum for 1983!!!

Gustavo borned in 24.05.1983 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just my 2cents! :twisted:
Together we fall, united we stand.
Michael Ferrier

Post by Michael Ferrier »

1983 vs 1985 - a very relevant question for me. I need (wish) to take a case out of storage and am undecided between Grahams 1983 and Taylors 1985. Any suggestions?
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

183 Graham's is going to be more ready to drink, I think.
Richard Henderson
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

I've had the 83 and 85 Fonseca and Grahams side by side now.
The 83 Grahams is fantastic, but the 85 blows it away.
The 83 Fonseca is not nearly as good as the 83 Grahams, maybe 91/92 points, and the 85 Fonseca blows it away by a big margin (and the 80 Fonseca simply sucks big time as a VP)!.

Dow is different, It's 83 over 85.
Taylor -- who cares? I love Taylor but not in the 80s! Dull. Boring even!
Have to say a mixed bag from my experiences.
Any Port in a Storm
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

My favourite is 83 for consistance of quality. I can't say that about 95. Yes both Vintage do have some stars, IMHO the Symingtons(apart from Graham's) where more successful in 83 and the Taylor group in 85. I did taste a dozen of very good 83 too and I can't say that of 85.

As with any mather, it always come down to your own taste. Taste, sample and get on with what you like 8--)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I have a Warre's 1985 that I will be opening very soon - likely this weekend. It has been languishing on Death Row for almost a month now.

Unfortunately, the stocks of 1983s around Edmonton are next to non-existent, so it may be a long time before I get a chance to try one.

Todd
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I have found that for my taste, I greatly prefer 1985. Lots of good wines and more depth than 85.

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I love this topic. No right or wrong answers here. Just personal choice. Great stuff, keep it coming.

I could probably make a good case for both but certainly have my favorite.
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,
I have a slightly different view. For drinking, I go to the 1985 Warres & Grahams. The '85 Fonseca is wonderful and better than the '83, but I am ageing those for the moment. Having said that, the 1983 vintage has more structure, and of course 1983 Dow hasa place in my cellar.
YOLO
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

Tried the Taylor 83 earlier in the year and was not impressed. Not flawed, but not impressive (~$85 or so).

The Graham 85 is great and hard to find detractors on that one.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I enjoy the 85's for current drinking and it just seems to me that the 83's have longer term potential. A number of the 83's are bruisers that might not soften up for another decade or more. The 85's as a group present much more fruit at this point in their development and are generally reaching their peak (I'd imagine that they'll probably hold for another 15-20 years).
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

At this time I think the 85's are better but saying that there are a couple of 83's which I think will become as good or better than the best 85's in time.But across the board 85's have it.