Luis Pato Vinhas Velhas Red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Queally

Luis Pato Vinhas Velhas Red

Post by Ray Queally »

Does anyone have experience of this producers wines ?

I can't seem to find a search function on this forum so forgive me if there have been previous threads.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

My experiences have been mixed. Some very good, some just too harsh and tannic.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

I've tried a few wines from Luis Pato....

I really like his wines and it is for me the best producer in Bairrada. Love the Vinhas Velhas, Vinha Pan, Vinha Barrosa and of course the Qinta do Ribeirinho. These are all great wines but they need time to integrate os they will be kinda harsh for some people. You need to understand these wines and specialy this grape BAGA. Such a herd time to work with this grape but when well worked it can give you some great wines, if you have the patiente to wait. Since we are at a Port forum there's no problem with that. Right?

João Rico
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

No problem waiting ! (I'm 43 so hopefully it will soften while I'm around to taste it )

I may be visiting some friends in Vigo (Galicia) this summer and am looking for any suggestions for good wineshops just over the border or indeed the nearest possible vineyard visit.
I know Porto isn't far away but travelling with kids who groan if Dad ventures near a vineyard of wine shop. :roll:

Any suggestions ?
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Tonight I opened a bottle of 1988 Luis Pato Baga Bairrada. My first from Luis Pato and first time tasting a wine made from the Baga varietal. I would say this wine is very good. It was interesting and complex. I did note that it was fiercly tannic on the palate though. As I held the wine in my mouth for a few seconds I felt my cheeks pucker up from all the tannin. Medium body and some nice fruit. I was surprised how tannic this wine was for being 19 years old and I can't imagine how tannic it must have been when young.
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

Do you think the tannins will ever soften ?
Was the fruit still there or fading ?
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Hi Ray, The fruit is there. The question is, will it last until the tannins soften? Based on this one experience, I think the tannins will always dominate the wine. If you can handle a little tannin though, it is a good wine. It's not profound or anything but perfectly drinkable. I'd say in the 86 - 88 point range.

It would probably go well with some soft cheeses. Soft cheeses will greatly affect ones perception of tannin. A visciously tannic wine will seem much softer after taking a bite of soft cheese.
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

By the sound of it Kris a substantial bite :wink: