2001 Taylor's Late Bottled Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

2001 Taylor's Late Bottled Vintage Port

Post by Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud »

Color: Deep dark red with dark brown.

Nose: Dark caramel, chocolate, spices, peppery, black ripe plum, prunes, some flowers, some vanilla, marsipan and cherry. After decanting for a while it shows some orange marmelade and maybe dried apricot.

Palate: Full bodied, same aromas as above, good concentration, very good balanced structure in the wine, very long rich and fresh finish, firm in the end. Sweet but not to sweet.

Foodmatch: Game, rich mature cheese, chocolate desserts.

Cellaring: 0-10 years. It is ready to drink and it is a filltered wine, but I think it will develope nice in the bottle. Some will say that filtered LBV does not develope in the bottle, I am not sure about that.

Very good wine. I was positively surprised because I have had my chear of Taylors that have been to sweet and plump, lacking acidity. BTW I have not tasted a lot of taylors, so maybe I have been unlucky. This LBV is very good quality. :D
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Winetalk http://winetalk.forum-2007.com
Gilles Séguin

Re: TN Taylor's Late Bottled Vintage 2001

Post by Gilles Séguin »

Thanks for the TN, I did not tasted that port yet, but it is the one available in the SAQ store right now, so I will definitely buy some.

Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud wrote:

Cellaring: 0-10 years. It is ready to drink and it is a filltered wine, but I think it will develope nice in the bottle. Some will say that filtered LBV does not develope in the bottle, I am not sure about that. :D

By cellaring 0-10 years do you mean from now or from the year 2001 ?
I am not sure either if the filtered LBV can developpe in the bottle, but I have a 1994 and a 1997 Taylor's LBV in my cellar. When I opened them I will post my impressions.

Gilles
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Due to the price and availability, the Taylor 2001 LBV seems to have become my house port. I have it fairly often. I do like the fact that it is a fairly fruit-forward port, but balanced with that touch of acidity that you mention.

You can check out my TN here for more details.

I think I have had the wine three times since this post and have enjoyed it each time, but without TNs. I have discovered through these subsequent tastings that it is best enjoyed (for my taste) in the first 8-10 hours after opening, with very little decanter time necessary. If you are keeping it open for longer than a day, you may want to consider throwing it in the wine fridge or in your basement if you have a cool one. Seems to keep the harsh alcohol at bay in the later hours.

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I haven't seen this Port in the shops around me yet...but I look forward to trying it when it shows up. Thanks for the notes on it :!:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

I guess I was an amateur Port snob. I always turned my nose up at anything that was not a "real" VP. I think I've only had one or two LBVs. Maybe I'll have to try more.
Thanks Roy
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Hey, Bjorn, I love the food pairing in your notes!! Great idea!

R
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

Storage

Post by Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud »

Gilles.
I mean 0-10 years from now. This is my personal guess, but I really do not know if filtered LBV will develope nicely.

However why shouldnt a LBV with good concentration, structure and balance develope as nice as a redwine can do?

Probably many members here that have some experience with this.

Rich.
Thanks, yes I think there should be more talk about wine and food here.
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Winetalk http://winetalk.forum-2007.com