Finally going to Portugal - Looking for advice

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Culhane

Finally going to Portugal - Looking for advice

Post by Steve Culhane »

Hi all,

First trip to Portugal coming up late Aug/early Sept (it had been on the to-do list for a long time...). Might go to Madeira for a couple of days if the price is right.

I am looking for suggestions on the best places to buy port and good portugal travel related web sites.

What's a good base camp in the Douro for day trips (I will have a car)?

Of course, suggestions on "you-have-to-see-this" places are welcomed :D

Thanks,

Steve
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Steve, have you buy your plane ticket already? If not let me know and I can give you a place to call, they have direct flight to Porto with Air Transat. Portuguese Travel agency in Montreal mainly for the Portuguese community.

Second thing I'll be in the Douro between the 5th and the 18th so if you are there between those dates we can probably have a dinner somewhere great!

For a base camp in the Douro, Pinhao is probably the best place. You are in the middle of it, away from the tourist area of Regua. There is not as much hotel though, mainly some poussada, quinta and residentials. I can suggest also staying at the quinta do Passadouro for a few nights, a very pleasant place with a great host. They also have a good wine/port selection at good prices.

Of course read Roy's and my trip reports again to see those not to be missed places!

You've got my email if you need more details!

Fred
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Hi Steve,

I'll second the advice for Quinta do Passadouro. I stay there every time we go to the Douro (at least once a year).

There were some discussions on the WS forums a while ago about going to Portugal and the Douro region, and Stevie and I posted some recommendations here and here. You might get some good ideas from that.

Please note that a lot of quintas don't have visitor facilities like in the US, but making appointments is usually easy and almost all winemakers are very happy to show you around, give a tasting and let you buy their wines.
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Frederick Blais wrote:Steve, have you buy your plane ticket already? If not let me know and I can give you a place to call, they have direct flight to Porto with Air Transat. Portuguese Travel agency in Montreal mainly for the Portuguese community.
Yes, US Airways, 1100$CAD to Lisbon. Funny, I looked on the Air Transat website and the only thing they had was Madrid and it was 1200+. My dates are Aug 25th to Sept 8th, so I'll probably be back around Lisbon by the time you arrive unfortunately.

Steve
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Oops, didn't notice the travel forum... Sorry :oops:
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

sculhane wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Steve, have you buy your plane ticket already? If not let me know and I can give you a place to call, they have direct flight to Porto with Air Transat. Portuguese Travel agency in Montreal mainly for the Portuguese community.
Yes, US Airways, 1100$CAD to Lisbon. Funny, I looked on the Air Transat website and the only thing they had was Madrid and it was 1200+. My dates are Aug 25th to Sept 8th, so I'll probably be back around Lisbon by the time you arrive unfortunately.

Steve
Air Transat website do not show all flights. Some travel agency rent a plane from them only for their customers, so you need to ask the agency directly. Got mine for 1045 MTL--> Porto. But you got a good price considering you are more in peek season than me.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Have a look here in this TRAVEL FORUM for some excellent places to go and especially some very fine restaurant recommendations. Enjoy your visit. Make sure to stop in to VINOLOGIA while over there and mention FTLOP for some extra special treat. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Thanks,

Anyone know of a good online map with the location of all the quintas in the Douro? The best I have is from Mayson's book, but it doesn't show the roads very well.

Steve
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The AEVP is probably your best bet. Their website has a great and detailed listing.

Too bad you couldn't have waited a month and come along with us for an unparalled experience and crushing grapes in the lagares with our gang. It is going to rock and the lineup of wines this year is unreal. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

My taste buds can't handle tasting 300 wines in a week, you guys are just too much for me :D

To answer my own question (duh!), this site is pretty good: http://www.rvp.pt/index.php?lang=en

Steve
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Come on Steve, you are vastly overstating the fun we have.

We've never even exceeded 200! The rest are Douro wines.

Don't worry, I am just bustin' your chops trying to fill the last couple of spots with FTLOPers, to have an amazing time like last year's "OFFLINE" :winebath: