So how much did I overpay for the 1995 Taylor Q. Vargellas?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

So how much did I overpay for the 1995 Taylor Q. Vargellas?

Post by Jay Hack »

After posting about the 1995s a few days ago and getting some interesting positive comments, I decided to jump in and bid for a case of 1995 Taylor Q. de Vargellas at the Acker Merrall auction that just ended today. I bid the minimum, which was much less that I saw it for on Winesearcher, and I won the lot. All in, including buyer's premium but before tax, my price was $29.98 per bottle. Seems cheap to me. Any opinions? In deference to the free advice I got here, I would be willing to share one bottle with any New Yorkers who want to get together and see what it tastes like, at some appropriate local food service establishment.
Thanks Roy
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Don't think I ever bought this particular bottle before, but sounds like a good price to me. I'll take you up on that next time I am in New York :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

That sounds pretty good to me - but everything here in Canada is so overpriced, so it means nothing! :)

Honestly, merchants know that "Taylor Fladgate is a big, important Port producer, therefore I should probably be able to charge a LOT for ANY bottle of Taylor Port."

And we pay it… oh, do we pay it.

Todd
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I think that is a pretty good price, and if I lived in NY still I would take you up on your offer!

Jay
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

Sounds pretty godd translated into punds, the wine society over here sells it at GBP30 (admittedly the FX is winging around a bit but not that much).
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Jay,

I think that the price at which you got the '95 Vargellas was very good. If that was the minimum bid then that still works out cheap, a pity you couldn't have gone one bid lower!

Its a great wine and one which will reward patience. If you can afford to lock them away for a few years they will mature and improve for a while yet.

And when I travel over to NYC in October, I will make sure you get to hear about it :D

Alex
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

Al B. wrote: . . . If that was the minimum bid then that still works out cheap, a pity you couldn't have gone one bid lower! . . . And when I travel over to NYC in October, I will make sure you get to hear about it . . .
The minimum was $300 for the case plus premium. The pre-sale estimate range had a minimum higher than $300, so I bid the minimum and won. I also bid $140 for 6 bottles of Fonseca Guimaraens but someone bid $150 so I let it go. . . . As to coming to NY in October, my wife hates Port. She refused to try any when we had a 1977 horizontal at my house. So I can always use an excuse to open a bottle.
Thanks Roy
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I paid about the same, maybe a little more? Any Taylor VP of any year for under $40.00 is a deal in my book.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Moses Botbol wrote:I paid about the same, maybe a little more? Any Taylor VP of any year for under $40.00 is a deal in my book.
Even under 60$ is a deal for Taylor (in my canadian point of view)...
Robin Levesque
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I think it was a pretty good price.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Looks like a very fair price to me. I paid €25,- a bottle and was happy with that. Recently drank a bottle too. It's beginning to show really nicely. A good, solid port as you can expect from Vargellas.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I have a ton of this particular wine and I'd say that you got a deal! Your per bottle price (even including auction fees) is the lowest price that I've seen for a Taylor's '95.
Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike McCune »

Great price. Less than what I paid on release (~$35-40)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

I will be in NYC in October as well. Maybe an offline in the making, although I was planning a stop over in London too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com