White Colheita

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lars F

White Colheita

Post by Lars F »

I've just returned from a visit to my local wine dealer, and he had a 1964 Krohn white Colheita. I'd never heard of white colheitas before. How does it compare to red colheitas and is $100 US an ok price for this?

-Lars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lars,

If you search, a couple of us have had this and posted about it. Its pretty tasty for the price, but give it a good long decant prior to drinking.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

I never had the chance to taste a White Colheita, this type is very rare on the market here.

Except Dalva and Krohn, who produces white colheitas?
Robin Levesque
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Robin I've only had three white Colheita's, and only heard about 4.
1952 Dalva
1935 Barros
1964 Krohn
(and I've hear about the 1917 Niepoort...I think that was the year, but have not had this one)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Shawn Denkler

white colheita

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Andy -

You have had only three white colheitas? I'm shocked!

I've been seriously interested in port for over thirty years and have not had one yet.

Years ago Corti Brothers in Sacramento carried both the 40 year old Taylor tawnies - red and white. I did not have the money to buy them, 40 year old tawny is never cheap. But I remember being told something that I found amazing to think about:

After forty years the red and white tawnies had almost the same color. The red lost color over the years and became a pale brown, while the white turned a pale brown with age.

Corti Brothers has carried an excellent white port over the years under the Martinez label. It is really good, and is about twenty years of age. Martinez (and Cockburn) have no market for aged white port. Corti Brothers is the only one to buy any. I have bought many cases of it over the years. It is a nice way to start a port tasting - with a nice glass of chilled white. It is complex and rich enought that people go back for more.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I've never heard of such a beast as Aged White Tawny… amazing. I thought I had already filled y quotient of "new things learned today" :D

If I ever see any of this, I will definitely have to pick a bottle up.
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Whooaa... I definitely have to buy some when I will see them (and try to save a bit from that)!!!
Robin Levesque
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Apart from those already mentioned:

1935 Kopke - probably the same as the Barros
1952 Presidential - probably the same as the Dalva

The Casa do Douro released a 1963 and 1964 "Colheita Lagrima" a few years ago - I believe these to be White Ports as well.

And of course there are probably many quintas who have some stock, but just don't release them commercially: for instance, Qta. d. Marrocos made a lovely 1972.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steven,

the Dalva and Presidential are the same. Presidential is the name used for the US export market.

I don't think the Barros and the Kopke are the same though. The Barros was only the second time they bottled it and I was told there was only a small amount in barrel left and that it would never be for sale, only for in-house use at special ocassions.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Could be Andy. It would be interesting to know the bottle year of the Kopke, but I have not seen it myself - a friend gave me a tip when he saw a bottle on sale. It is the only time I have heard of this bottling.
Andy Velebil

Re: white colheita

Post by Andy Velebil »

Shawn Denkler wrote:Andy -

I've been seriously interested in port for over thirty years and have not had one yet.

Shawn,

Next time we meet up I will have to change that.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

In "Wine Report 2007", by Tom Stevenson, there is mention of the following on page 162:

1985 Vista Alegre White Port

Has anyone tried this? I don't think that I've ever seen any Vista Alegre ports.

Gary