Great young Port experiences?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Phil Wilkins

Great young Port experiences?

Post by Phil Wilkins »

Sometimes, just sometimes I do like a tipple of younger VP mainly for the primary fruit. Has anyone any suggestions of young VP that is NOT complete infanticide but generally good for current drinking – I guess I’m thinking from the nineties onward?

Thanks
Phil
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sandeman Vau Vintage is excellent for that. I've tasted the 97 and 2000, both are really good with nice flesh and freshness in its youth.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Phil Wilkins

Post by Phil Wilkins »

Thanks Fred. I will look out for a bottle to guzzle when the weather cools slightly. I have some 91 Dow’s – keep or worth a young bottle soon to try now out of my pair?
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

I tried the Noval 1991 a few months ago and IMO its ready to drink.
(but as I'm not a very experienced port - drinker I don't know if it will improve much)
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

I tried the Noval 1991 a few months ago and IMO its ready to drink.
(but as I'm not a very experienced port - drinker I don't know if it will improve much)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think that occasionally popping open a young VP is a great experience. Especially when I have purchased a case or even a half a case, I enjoy checking on young VPs from time to time. What better way to learn about the aging curve of a Vintage Port? I think it makes the enjoyment of a young VP far more enjoyable, when you understand from where the wine has evolved. For example, I am enjoying watching the 1977 Taylor VP come into its own. It was awkward and backwards in its youth. It did not show particularly well as a teenager either, yet I knew this was a great VP and bought in a few cases when they were very affordable, years ago. Now at 28 the wine is very drinkable although by no means, showing signs of approaching maturity.

So, back to young ones. Aside from the plethora of recent 2003s that I have recently waded through, a bottle of both 1994 and 2000 Quinta do Vesuvio (both tasted in the past 12 months) were absolutely sublime and I was thrilled at their youthful exuberance. I have also had the fabulous 1995 Ferreira which today stands as one of the best young bargains on the market. There are many other examples too.

Obviously, those who know me realize I prefer my Vintage Ports on the mature side. But that won't stop me from enjoying them while young too. Those that fail to do so are really missing out on some delicious fruit!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred_Quebec wrote:Sandeman Vau Vintage is excellent for that. I've tasted the 97 and 2000, both are really good with nice flesh and freshness in its youth.
I too have had the 97 Vau Vintage and also the 99. Both are very nice for a very young VP. If I'm not mistaken, Sandman created the Vau Vintage line specifically to drink young. I first ran across the Vau Vintage about 1 year ago at Trader Joes. They had the 97 in 1/2 bottles. I bought one, tried it and the next day went back and bought all they had (about 5 1/2-bottles). A short time later they had a few 99's, so I cleaned them out of those also. I want to say (if memory serves me) the 1/2 bottles were like $12.00 or $13.00 US each.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

I'm happy to hear that Vau '97 would be good. That is one of the few ports I have available to me, so I'll certainly give it a try. If it's made to drink young, how long will it last?
mwaters

Post by mwaters »

Vau is a great choice. Check out my recent TN for the 01 Niepoort Secundum which IMO would be a great young bottle to open in the near future. Roy has a good TN in the Tasting Notes section as well.

Other's worth a try:
2000 Infantado
2000 Pocas
2001 Fonseca G.

The 91s Ive had (Taylor Varg, Croft, Graham) have all been great. I wouldn't hestitate on opening one again.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Agreed... 1994 Vesuvio is hard to beat. The fruit and the balance and just amazing! I'm still looking for more of that one.
-Dave-