What are you planning to open next?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

What are you planning to open next?

Post by Al B. »

I organise my drinking so that my next 2-3 bottles that I plan to open are standing up to allow the contents to settle before the bottles are opened and decanted. This way I find that the sediment has settled well into the bottom of the bottle and I can maximise the clean juice before having to use a filter.

My next three bottles are likely to be a 1987 from Hutcheson, and 1985 VP from Kopke and a 1995 from Roeda.

What do other folks have lined up as their next bottle or two of port?

Alex
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

1 is already standing up because it is a LBV
A Burmester 2001 LBV

The other one i really want to try is a 1944 Nicolau da Almeida because the vendor has one unopened full case of them in his cellar and if i really like it i maybe want to buy that case.
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

I have a 1970 and a 1980 Warre on the list to be drunk. They just need a little longer in the cellar to settle down after their journey to my house. Maybe wednesday onwards next week, dribble dribble!!

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I was also thinking 1970 Warres, although I might go 1974 Noval Colheita first. Just need to wait and see what the week brings!

Jay
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Dow's 20 year tawny. I got a few extra in stock and am thinking of using it for giftbaskets for the holidays.

So, naturally, we have to "test" these darn ports.

Arm twisting...
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

We are celebrating my friend's 38th birthday on Thursday at Grille 23 in Boston. For the port we are opening a 1980 Sandeman Magnum.

I've had this magnum once before and it showed quite well.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here is what sits on my death row at the moment. Not sure when i will get to them, but "old sparky" is calling :P

N.V. Broadbent Madeira Malmsey 10 Years Old
N.V. Ferreira Porto Tawny 10 Year Quinta do Porto
2001 Krohn Porto Late Bottled Vintage
N.V. Sandeman Porto 20-year Tawny
1997 Delaforce Porto Quinta da Corte
1985 Dow Porto Vintage
1996 Dow Porto Vintage Quinta do Bomfim
1966 Moreira Porto Colheita
N.V. Presidential Porto 40 Year Old Tawny (.375)
1974 Quinta do Noval Porto Colheita
1997 Sandeman Porto Vintage Quinta do Vau (.375)
1992 Smith Woodhouse Porto Late Bottled Vintage
1995 Warre Porto Late Bottled Vintage
and a few Douro red wines.

wow, I guess Death Row is a little overcrowded, but this week should see me taking care of a few of the buggers 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I wish I had read this earlier yesterday afternoon as we opened a 1931 Rebello Valente and a 1940 Niepoort. Both were awesome and TN's & pics will be posted soon.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Let's see....right now on Death Row I have a Sandeman 1977 & Graham's 30 year old. I also have a Taylor 1995, a Fonseca 1992 & a Warre 2000 that will be making their way to Death Row in the near future.

Marc
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

1963 Fonseca to be opened this Saturday with a newly formed Gourmet Dinner Club with some friends (we all cook a course). I will be serving it with about 8 Cowgirl Creamery Cheeses and Richart dark chocolates.

Also a newly picked up Ferreira 20 yr tawny as I finally had this wine in a restaurant in San Fran this past week---wow!

P.S. Andy...we're gonna have to nickname you Tex with that many on death row :lol:
Last edited by Scott Anaya on Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Anaya
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

For me tonight it was a Quinta do Pego 2000. I was impressed in its youth and still today I am, it is young, balanced, floral and very nice tannins/acidity backbone. Calem are realy surprising me from the 2000 vintage especially!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This is a difficult question for me. I have gone about 20 days without a single sip of wine. I hate when that happens. No, I was not in rehab per se. It was not a conscious decision either. However, tomorrow I will remedy the situation, but Port might have to wait until my arrival at home late night on Wed. I will have to cram to get my liver in shape for the marathon ahead.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Mark DaSilva wrote:Dow's 20 year tawny. I got a few extra in stock and am thinking of using it for giftbaskets for the holidays.

So, naturally, we have to "test" these darn ports.

Arm twisting...
Wow, I want to get a gift basket from YOU Mark!!! :D :cool:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I also missed this thread prior to the weekend (was on call last week and that means a week without Port (for the most part), sleep, and FTLOP cuz I'm busy almost 24 hrs a day!)

Death Row used to contain the following three:
Gould Campbell VP 1980
Smith Woodhouse LBV (unfiltered) 1994, b 1998
Smith Woodhouse LBV (unfiltered) 1995, b 1999

The '94 LBV had his sentence carried out on Saturday however as my brother was in town. On call or not, we enjoyed that puppy! :cool: I just had to restrain myself from emptying the decanter in one night! :?

Todd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Todd - that Gould Campbell 1980 is a tasty treat, and one which I would enjoy taking 2-3 days to finish.

Sadly, my Kpoke '85 has now been finished, the Hutcheson '87 gets opened tonight and the Roeda is looking all alone on its shelf...

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Al B. wrote:Todd - that Gould Campbell 1980 is a tasty treat, and one which I would enjoy taking 2-3 days to finish.

Sadly, my Kpoke '85 has now been finished, the Hutcheson '87 gets opened tonight and the Roeda is looking all alone on its shelf...

Alex
It's funny, when I had this last time Alex, it seems prematurely aged - as if it was a full-blown tawny in terms of colour. The palate didn't overly excite me either, but as I had bought two half bottles, I still have the one.

It might be due to poor storage. There is minor signs of seepage on the label, and when you take the outer foil cap off, the inner one is stained and crusty. We'll see what this second one is like. A merchant near me has a decent number of them still on the shelves... they are a good price, affordable enough that even if they are not perfectly stored or with a perfect result that you're almost forced to take the chance! ;)

I hope the next one will be better than the first - I'll definitely let you know when I do try it.

Todd