September 2007 Virtual Tasting: 1983 Vintage Ports

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

September 2007 Virtual Tasting: 1983 Vintage Ports

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, here is the thread for it, so start posting.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Uh oh. Could it really be that I am 83 VP-Less ???? I might try to pick some up in San Fran, Marin, or Sonoma when there in a few weeks for my brothers wedding and much vino tasting of course!
Scott Anaya
Todd Pettinger

Gould Campbell Vintage Port (1983)

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Okay, I'll open this up with the following TN on the Gould Campbell Vintage Port - 1983
Decanted at 13:00 hrs. I was unsure of an optimal decanting time for this Port, so I bet on 5-6 hrs for my main tasting, but will sample along the way to ensure I’m not missing out.

When the outer cap was removed, I saw a green deposit above the cork, with some brown staining on the IVDP seal and inner foil cap. It looks like a bit of mold, but I’m not too sure – wondering if someone can tell me if this deposit that resembles mold is normal on an older bottle (this one is 24 years – 22 of which were in bottle)?

First impressions - upon decanting
Medium ruby red colour starting to gain some oranges when held at an angle to the light. A bit of bottle stink and spirit on the nose – this should blow over with the passage of time.

Initial taste offers cherries and dried prunes, with a touch of unintegrated alcohol which leaves a not-unpleasant warmth in the back palate. I detect some tannins in the mid-palate and finish leading me to believe that this Port very well could live on another 5-10 years in bottle (just a guess at this point, we’ll see if this holds true as it evolves over time.) A bit of lingering acidity, with a longer finish than expected.

+1½ hrs
Not much evolution. The Port is medium bodied, definitely not the characteristics of a serious “big boy” but still nice. I would have to say it is very mellow at this point, although a touch of disjointed spirit remains in the forefront. Bottle stink has blown off and what remains is still a nose full of cherries, plums and dried prunes.

+3 hrs
Nose has developed some light floral notes to go along with a touch of strawberries in the palate. Some grapes show up, very sweet and with green tannins which introduce a define mouth-pucker.

+5 hrs
Cherries and plums still dominate. Sweet, dried figs show up in the background. The spirit is still a bit of a standout with some VA on the finish that burns for a short while. I get the impression at this point that the Port will improve only a slight bit.

+6½ hrs
Plums now dominate the palate. Alcohol is nicely integrated and a warm after-burn works its way out of a lengthy plum-jam sweetness. A hint of sticky tannins coat the mouth in the medium length finish. Although not a blockbuster, this Port is decent for sipping and is certainly drinking well at this age.

+8 hrs
The kids are finally in bed and I am sitting down with the first proper glass and able to really concentrate on a serious bit of investigation. A light flavouring of dark cherries show up in the mid- to –end palate, along with a touch of chocolate.

Green tannins are present in the mid-palate and through the finish as they stick to the back of the tongue and the sides and roof of the mouth. A defined acidity keeps the finish in check and provides a medium length.

+10 hrs
Alcohol seems to be completely integrated. Shorter, smooth finish. Tannins seem to be taming down as is evidenced by less mouth-pucker.

+1 day
Still smooth and mellow; a more feminine style of port. The front of the palate is all plums/dried prunes. I still have the dominating taste pegged at plums/dried prunes with cherries hidden in the background.
The nose at this point is of an alcoholic prune juice – the only real indicator of any alcohol at all as it is very well integrated now. The tannins are still there, but only in the background on the end palate.
Todd Pettinger

Gould Campbell '83 - Final notes

Post by Todd Pettinger »

1½ days
Not a whole lot of change, although the Port does seem to be getting better the longer it sits in the decanter.

+2½ days
After this much time all the heat is off the palate. A faint hint of green pepper on the mid-palate, but still the dominant flavours are plums with dark cherries. This seems to be (for me) the ideal decanting time, because I definitely like it the most at this point. That being said, although it is a decent VP, it is not one I would seek out again in large quantities, despite the easier price point for VPs from 1983 in Canada.

I have decided that I am going to have to seek out a young Gould Campbell VP to see if I like it any better when it is younger and hopefully, more fruit-forward. The two examples of GC that I have had have both been in the lower ratings for VPs I have tried this year.

Rating
I used to exclusively use the Uncle Tom rating system. Seeing as how Uncle Tom is no longer around, I will discontinue my use of his TN system as new folks will not be able to get a proper explanation from me as to how the system works, and therefore, it would make very little sense. A 100 pt scale for me is pretty useless as I have not attempted it, but based upon the typically-accepted rating system of the 100 pt scale, this would likely weigh in around an 88, perhaps as low as 86.

Todd
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

1983 Taylor Fladgate VP

Little sediment when decanted through filter and cheesecloth. Barely discernible fragrance. The first glass shows light color, more like a burgundy. The taste is simple: sweet, fruity, with light tannins.

More later.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I have to say, I am really looking forward to the rest of your TN on the Taylor VP Gary. Due to price and availability here in Edmonton, I have never tried a VP from one of the big guys like Fonseca or Taylor... wasting a young'un seems like an awful crime, so I am waiting for the right deal on a couple bottles of aged Fonseca or Taylor to come up.

Todd
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I finished the Taylor '83 on 21 September. It improved during the first three days, but had little complexity. The alcohol was still a little evident when I finished it. I think that it may improve a little, so I'll keep the bottle that I have for a few years.

I prefer the Graham's '83 to this one.

Todd,

I would not buy the Taylor '83 or '85 if I were you, based on my experience, unless you got a very good price. I have a half case of the 1985 and I may try one a year to see if they improve.

Now that I think about it, I'll open one after I finish the RWC Charleston Sercial that I'm drinking now.
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

1983 Taylor VP

My wife and I have had two bottles of this in the last 3 weeks, my choice was based on the fact that many do not rate it that highly and my first memory of a year ago was not great but v.nice hence the revisit. Both bottles gave the same result.

TN: Reasonably dark red colour, alcohol,cherries and figs on the nose strong and pleasant. On tasting good fruit on the palate hints of cherry brandy and quite alcoholic. The finish was reasonable and what I call warming (which no doubt is the alcohol).

Our overall impression of this wine is one of lack of integration but I enjoyed the wine and just wonder if a bit more time might help. I have a few bottles left so we will see.

Todd I got these at a reasonable price so I am not disappointed but I do not think this is a great port to spend a lot on.

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Derek, Christopher and I will be sharing a Grahams '83 tomorrow night so that we can all contribute to the Virtual Tasting (could there be another reason why we would drink a 1983 port?).

A tasting note will follow on Thursday.

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Paul, Gary, thanks for the notes on the Taylor. Looks like '83 will not be the first Taylor VP I try then! ;)

Alex - say hi to Derek for me... enjoy the Grahams!

Todd
Al B.

Graham 1983

Post by Al B. »

Christopher, Derek and I met up last night and shared a bottle of Grahams 1983 between us. These are my notes:

Very dark centre, deep red rim (the same colour almost as the Seffington '94 tasted at the same time). Obvious alcohol on the nose, but a lovely blueberry juice and a damp earthiness mixed in with it. Sweet entry with a lovely acidic structure. Raisins and raw Christmas cake mix came through in the mid-palate. A soft texture but with tannins that are hiding behind the fruit, a 24 year old wine but still so youthful with very little by way of tertairy characteristics. A stunning aftertaste that goes on for ages - every time you run your tongue round your cheeks more of the aftertaste floods back into your mouth. This is an absolutely stunning wine that will continue to improve over the next 20-30 years. It's nowhere near its peak yet, but when it reaches there it may well be a 98-100 point port. 8/10 or 94/100 (for curent drinking).