Prefered temperature of port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

xxxMonique Heinemans

Prefered temperature of port?

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

Maybe the question has been asked before, but at what temperature do you like to drink your port?

Personally I prefer to drink them "sligtly chilled", direct from my cellar, but maybe that's not common, because when I order a port (or a red wine) in a restaurant most of the time they are a bit "to hot" imo.

Best, Monique.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Monique

I absolutely agree with you. I prefer my port and my red wine at cellar temperature. I even find that on hot days I like to keep my decanters in a fridge set to run at 8C. I pour a glass and let it warm up a little before drinking.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There is nothing worse than warm Port, except Port that is hot. 8--)

I like mine slightly cooler than room temperature say 65 degrees, but not cellar cool (55 degrees). YMMV.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

I prefer them slightly chilled. As in bottles sitting on top of ice, not buried in it.

Goes down nicely.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: I like mine slightly cooler than room temperature say 65 degrees, but not cellar cool (55 degrees). YMMV.
Exactly what I would say, but even a few degrees cooler too.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

We store our port at 56 degrees. At that temperature, the port is wonderful.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I am going to have to take another couple of temperature readings of my basement where the Port is stored currently. 56F (13C) seems to be a bit colder than I think I have, although I don't have a clue at the moment - I might be surprised. It's entirely concrete and down at least 8 feet into the ground, so I imagine it will be pretty decent, even in the summer.

I meant to take a series of readings in it over the course of a year, I am going to have to get a thermometer to place down there to do just that... I suspect that there will be a few degrees of difference between winter and summer months, but not very much fluctuation daily. (Here's hoping
:?)

As far as serving temperature - I do also prefer a slight chill on my Tawnies and Colheitas, some LBVs whereas I think I prefer my VP closer to room temperature, but not quite up to room temp.

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

VP's, LBV's, and ruby's: I prefer just above cellar temp.

Tawny's: slightly chilled the majority of the time, but on really hot days a nice 10 year that is well chilled is quite refreshing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

60-65 degrees F for me, which is coincidentially the temperature of a Pacifica CA cellar!

Jay