Anyone tried these Anderson Ports?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

nicos neocleous

Anyone tried these Anderson Ports?

Post by nicos neocleous »

In France yesterday, I saw the following Ports from a producer called Anderson. I have never tried any Ports from this house, so just wondering if anyone has any views on either the producer or these Ports:

- 2000 LBV
- 1991 Colheita
- 1975 Colheita
YOLO
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have enjoyed other VPs, Tawnies and LBVs from J. H. Andresen, but not the ones you have listed. Were the prices worthy?

I hope you enjoyed your trip to France and I am sorry the Rugby WC Finals did not go your way. Darn Springboks were really tough and that Montgomery character ... wow, what a leg!

It was great seeing you recently. :winepour: :winebath: :drunk:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Only tried the 1991 and it was OK. Depending on the price, it can be a nice bottle to open when you have friends you want to introduce or just when you don't feel like opening high end ports.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

Haven't tried the 1991, but I have tried the 1992 colheita, and it struck me as a very 'correct' tawny, very well-made but somehow not very distinctive. I don't know how else to describe it. I enjoyed it and the price was reasonable, though.
Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

As the importer is practically a neighbor of yours, you should be seeing a good amount of Andresen in your marketplace. See if you can land a bottle of the very very good 1985 VP.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Andresen 1985

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

My one sample of Andresen 1985 was, alas, not as good as the bottles Roy must have tried, I describing it as “Alcoholic, and little else. Thin; sugar; quick; harmless.”.
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

Roy Hersh wrote:Eric,

As the importer is practically a neighbor of yours, you should be seeing a good amount of Andresen in your marketplace. See if you can land a bottle of the very very good 1985 VP.
I have been getting to Newark now and again, where I discovered the Ironbound district. My favorite shop there is Oporto Wines. It's nice and cluttered and they have some very hard-to-find stuff, and a lot of Andresen VP's and LBV's. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the 1985 next time I go there.

BTW, Roy, I also just came across the last two bottles of Quinta do Castelinho 1997 LBV in another wine shop. I remembered your review of the 1995 LBV so I grabbed them. I had one and it was excellent. I will be checking back to see if they have any more.
Eric
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Nicos,

I have had a few Andressen ports but cannot recall which ones. You can buy them from http://www.laithwaites.co.uk at not unreasonable prices.

Derek
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,
The '91 Colheita was US$50 and the '75 Colheita US$100. This seems like too much to me. Great to spend some fun times with you in England recently. :lol:

Derek,
Thanks for the tip. :)
YOLO