TN: 1955 Barbieto Bual Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

KenBirman

TN: 1955 Barbieto Bual Vintage Madeira

Post by KenBirman »

[Cross-posted; this is also in a port-wine thread because we opened the wine next to some 1955 ports.... sorry if I was supposed to sort it out more carefully!]

1955 Barbietto Velha Madiera Bual 1955 (bottled by Rare Wine Company 2002). Pale burnt-orange with a pale yellow rim. Nose shows high levels of VA, almost vinegary. Faint aromas of grilled nuts, toffee, but fairly inexpressive. Empty glass has a striking nose of shellac, but I don't really get that when there is much wine in the glass... go figure... In the mouth, rich and still somewhat sweet, with coffee and nutty flavors and a long seamless finish. 92.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It seems to me that you may not be very experienced with Madeira. I say that but not in a derogatory way. You seem surprised by the VA in this particular wine and I am positive that you are correct that it was not only present, but prominent. Such is the case with just about all great Madeiras. In some wines VA is rightfully considered a fault. For lovers of Madeira it is a trademark quality and I have yet to experience a single top notch bottle in which it did not come to the fore. This is one of those things that turn off some people to the wine, the way that a spiritous character may do so for people who try Port, and don't like it. But if you can't get past VA, I don't think you will ever appreciate Madeira to the fullest. It is an acquired taste and smell that not everyone tends to like.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com