Rare Wine Companys Boston Bual

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Saxon

Rare Wine Companys Boston Bual

Post by Steve Saxon »

A buddy of mine had the Boston Bual last week and loved it. Has anyone else tried this or the New York Malmsey or Charlston Sercial?
Wine brings truth.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Steve,

The Bual is supposedly the best of the four Rare Wine's from the Madeira Historical Series. I have tried the Malmsey and for the price, I think it does not deliver. There are better values and certainly better Malmsey/Malvasia out there. Besides the light weight of the wine, I found the finish rather short.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

thanks Roy
Wine brings truth.
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

I have tried all three of them and concur that the Bual is the best of the bunch.

The Malmsey was decent but as Roy said, for the price there are competitors out there. It has some of the richness of a malmsey but not much complexity. The sercial I did not really care for very much. But then I've had little experience with sercials.
- Jay Woodruff.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am growing to like Sercials more and more as the years go by. It is somewhat like a Fino Sherry and that is one drink I never have gotten used to, no matter how much I try. I can say that the typical Sercial with at least 15 years of age on it, is a very special grape and the complexity and salty/nutty nuances inherent in the grape is something I really like now. I would have to say it is an acquired taste and not everyone will like the style right off the bat.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

I like the Malsey best, the Bual a somewhat close second, and the Sercial third (although Sercial in general is growing on me!).

I have little experience with Madeira at this price point but love these. I've opened the three bottles together and enjoyed them over a few days, twice.

Wish I had some now!!!

Ted
Any Port in a Storm
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ted,

You should try the Broadbent 15 year old Malmsey, which costs less money and is easier to find. It is also, a MUCH better expression of the Malvasia grape and style in general. If you haven't tried one, you owe it to yourself to score a bottle. I buy it by the case and this is now my "house Madeira."
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

I recently had the Broadbent Rainwater. I liked well enough to know that if this is the low end, I can't wait to try the high.
Wine brings truth.
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

As far as brands go, Bart is indeed bottling some very fine Madeiras under the Broadbent brand. (These come from Justino & Henriques, if I'm not mistaken.) My preference, however, is for Henriques & Henriques (aka H&H), though these may be more difficult to find in some markets.

Rare Wine Co.'s Madeiras are good, but -- I'm with Roy here -- they are more expensive, more difficult to find, and not necessaily any better than Boradbent and/or the H&H.
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Henriques & Henriques is an older firm that I recently visited. John Cossart, from the noble Madeiran family spent half a day with us showing us around. Nice wines too!

Justino & Henriques is more well known for large scale "projects" but they do some high quality bottlings as well. Most folks call them Justinhos.
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

Funny,

I just tasted the range of Rare Wine Co. Madeiras and was very underwhelmed. They were all around 45.00 US.
Michael Miller