Bringing a vintage to a party...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Bringing a vintage to a party...

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Say you wanted to impress a port lover at his birthday party that he'd open in front of his guests.

What vintage would you bring?

Something you'd stand behind taste-wise, not based on scores or price...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1970 Fonseca or Taylor can always be counted on and would make for a generous gift except for the truly jaded Port lover.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The challenge is that you want to give the host a bottle to open in front of his guests and to serve immediately - ie. with no decanting time. That makes it rather tough.

Under these sorts of circumstances, I would be very tempted to go for something that will impress right from the start and then keep improving for the next few hours. A 1994 VP, such as the Vesuvio, would be a great suggestion.

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Since you didn't specify a vinage Port or Colheita and since it will be opened and served right away, I would say a very good Colheita is in order. My vote goes for a 1957 Kopke Colheita

I would be hesitant to suggest an older VP simply because it will be opened and poured right away, with no decanting time. But if a VP is what you're looking for, then I would also go for a slightly younger VP that would drink very good from the start. For a super serious Port person where price is no object a 1994 Noval Nacional. Or a 1985 Fonseca VP, being a bit more realistic.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

You could pre-decant something, re-bottle it with a T stopper so that it is ready for serving?? It does take away the cache of the grandness of opening an old bottle with an audience however.
Scott Anaya
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:1970 Fonseca or Taylor can always be counted on.
Just about anything from 70 will be good. Any Nacional, or 80's magnum would be a treat.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Al B. wrote: A 1994 VP, such as the Vesuvio, would be a great suggestion.

Alex
A Vesuvio 6 pack OWS would make a fine gift is not very expensive. The best packaging I ever seen for Vintage Port. So impressive, I fret having to open a bottle!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars