Port prices per glass in swanky bars

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Port prices per glass in swanky bars

Post by Mark DaSilva »

My wife and I were at the Pelican Hill Golf Course in Newport Coast last night for a few cocktails. I noticed they carried, among other ports, Taylor's 40 year and Graham's vintage 1970.

I has never seen these high end ports in any bar before and I didn't ask the price. I imagine they would be very expensive.

What's the most expensive port by the glass you've seen and where was it?
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Pacific dinning car(Downtown LA) has the Taylor’s VP 1970 by the glass for $55 :winepour:
Santo Roman
Location: Kirkland, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Santo Roman »

What are the chances of getting a bad glass from a place that sells port by the glass? Just thinking out loud.

santo
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Take care when choosing the place you buy port by the glass and don't be afraid to send back a bad glass.

There's a few places in London which I can recommend if you ever visit there and want to be able to enjoy a glass of vintage port that's in pretty good condition. Every bottle they open is labelled with the time and date it was decanted and they will happily tell you if you ask and even open a new bottle if you think that its been open for too long. (At least they would if you told them that you're a member here.)

Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had Ferreira 20 for $9.00 a glass at the local Irish pub. Even better deal when I ask them to pour it in a wine glass. :twisted:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Had Ferreira 20 for $9.00 a glass at the local Irish pub. Even better deal when I ask them to pour it in a wine glass. :twisted:
I always ask my server to make sure its in a small white wine glass, as very few restaurants ever have a true Port glass and they love to use those tiny thimble glasses. This almost always ends up being a larger pour than they usually give....and the Port shows much better too!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Ha, I musta graduated from Andy's school of value, or volume to price ratio...I usually ask for my port in a brandy glass for the same reason as they almost always pour more, especially when they realize those thumbnail glasses are basically shot size.....
Scott Anaya
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Great tricks there, guys. I doubt most waiter's would know port wine glasses, nor possibly bartenders. I guess the trick is, find a restaurant that doesn't look sophisticated, see if they happen to have a good selection of port, then ask them to pour into a white wine glass.

Nice.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mark, you'd be surprised at how many very high end restuarants try and serve Port in tiny cordial glasses :roll: Most just don't know any better, so I try to educate them delicately.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bryan Robinson
Location: San Diego, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Bryan Robinson »

I don’t remember the price, but far and away the most expensive glass of port I’ve ever had in a restaurant was a glass of Quinta do Noval 40 year tawny at the Inn at Little Washington in a small Virginia town outside Washington DC. While I don’t remember the price of any single item, I do remember the tab for three of us ran into four figures.

The port was excellent, and served in the correct glass.
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

You can get 100 years of Port (a Graham 10, 20, 30, & 40 yr tawny) at a nice restaurant here in Anchorage, Jen's for a respectable $30-something for the set. And they are a nice pour too!

Another restaurant ran a Taylor 100 years of port special too for a while. And that may have been in the high $20's USD.
Scott Anaya
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Scott Anaya wrote:You can get 100 years of Port (a Graham 10, 20, 30, & 40 yr tawny) at a nice restaurant here in Anchorage, Jen's for a respectable $30-something for the set. And they are a nice pour too!

Another restaurant ran a Taylor 100 years of port special too for a while. And that may have been in the high $20's USD.
I would happily pay either price... what a fantastic set and price... hey, you couldn't go wrong.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bryan Robinson wrote:While I don’t remember the price of any single item, I do remember the tab for three of us ran into four figures.
:shock: :winebath:
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

The most expensive???? Probably a glass of Taylor's 40 y.o. at the Bel-Air hotel for $70.00.
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Taylor 40 yo which I believe was going for $40 at Gramercy Tavern in NYC
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The list of Ports was far too long for me to remember, but there were some VERY expensive Ports available at the Solar do Vinho do Porto. I'm fairly certain they ranged into triple digits (Euros).

The most expensive that I tasted was a 40-yr old for 28 Euros... sadly I do not remember the brand. It didn't leave much of an impression especially compared to the 20-yr old Ramos Pinto that I very much enjoyed at the same sitting.
Glenn Elliott