Kopke Madeira !?!

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Kopke Madeira !?!

Post by Frederick Blais »

Did not know Kopke was producing Madeira wines. There is an offering of their 10 years old Reserve at 30$ can. There is not much madeira offering here in east Canada, anyone tasted this, a good wine to buy?

Thanks for you comments

Fred
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I knew of Kopke and other Port producers making the juice but have not had the Kopke. I live near the importer for the w. coast of the USA and if you are really wanting information, I can contact them on your behalf.

Just an FYI, most folks don't know that Sandeman also produces Madeira, as does Broadbent. The Symington family is very involved in the Madeira business too. There are lots of relationships between the Port and Madeira Shippers, but I am sure that would surprise no one.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

It would be interesting to know what is the % of each grapes used in the blend. That way I'll know if its more a sweet or dry blend.

I'll order 2 bottles anyway, I love madeira but can't never get a hand on decent bottles.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Kopke produces quite a big range of Madeiras, including some pre-WWII vintages. I've only tasted the NV 10YO Malmsey, and that was a pretty good wine!