Madeira and Macallans 12 year old Scotch

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

Madeira and Macallans 12 year old Scotch

Post by Jay Hack »

A month ago, I had a bottle of 1922 D'Oliveiras Boal. Earlier this evening, I had a bit of 12 year old Macallans single malt. There was something about the Scotch, both aroma and palate, that reminded me of the Madeira. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it was a bit of sweet caramel. Any thoughts?
Thanks Roy
Steve S.

Post by Steve S. »

I can see where you are coming from here. The Macallan is the only distillery to mature their single malt in old Sherry casks and that contributes a lot to the Macallan's distinctive flavour. It is my favourite whisky and I like Madeira.

If you have the good fortune to try the 18 year old (or better still the 25 year old) Macallan which is considerably richer and deeper in flavour than the 12 year old, then you would really start to be comparing like with like!

Steer clear though of the new "Fine Oak" variety of the 10 year old Macallan which uses new oak. Someone should suggest to them that they try making a special using old Port or Madeira casks - That would really be something!
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

I seem to recall, if memory serves me correctly, in 1996 there was a special release of 1969 (or thereabouts) Scotch from Port-wood and Sherry-wood casks (so 2 separate bottlings) and I believe it was under Glen Morangie or Glen something label but not Glenlivet. This was in a wineshop in Bloomsbury, just up the street from Russell Square station toward Cartwright Gardens. I remember it all so vividly, because I was also bemoaning the sad representation of California wine (Woodbridge!) and going on about the 1992 Lytton Springs Zinfandel that was such a great little gem of a PQR find at the time. And getting the story of how the scotch casks were found and then bought up by this company and so on, similar to a lot of Barbeitos.

I never forgave myself for not picking one up (glibly thinking I'd find it at the Wine House or Wally's or some such place, and at the same or better price once I got home). Ha! I didn't find it at all... and not for years after. I still catch myself looking for it every now and again. I wonder if anyone else here came across one of those. I can only imagine...