2001 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Jay Woodruff

2001 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

Post by Jay Woodruff »

After reading through some of the tasting notes available for the 2003 ports, I am feeling left out since I have access to exactly zero. As such, I decided to open the youngest VP I do have, a lone Vesuvio 2001.
Upon opening it was not showing much at all. Not as aromatic as I expected, little tannin, and of course primary.
Giving it a few hours in the decanter is has begun to open up. Aromatically is has become more assertive, some spirit to it, and notes of plum and some dark berries. Only been open a few hours yet so I hope for more as the night goes on and I will save some for tomorrow night to see how it ends up.
So far, while I havenot had a bad Vesuvio, not as good as the 00, 99, 96, 94. Had no more that that so hard to compare more. In any case, still not a bad way to spend the evening. :wink:

Jay.
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

A little bit later. Additions:

Nose: Cherries Jubilee and very light amount of dark chocolate.

Taste: Same as before with some cherry pipe tobacco and some hidden tannins at the end.
Yummy.

Jay

I think I need more port.
jasond

Post by jasond »

Jay, you killed a baby (someone needed to give you a bad time about this!) I would guess it would need at least 12 hours to come around, maybe more. I have not tried any of the 01's but if they are anything like the 95s they will need at least 10 years. Let us know how it ends up.
Jason Domanico
Frederick Blais

Vesuvio 2001

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've tasted the Vesuvio 2001 at a wine fair along with the 1999 and the 2000. Of course the 2000 was massive showing more depth, extraction and power than the 2 others. But I liked a lot the 2001, I was attracted by its freshness with floral notes and nice crushed black berry flavors. It must have been decanted for more than 8 hours when I tasted it. It shares some qualities with the acessible 96 but it will age further. Buy a few of these while you wait for the 2000's, I'd say start drinking them from 2016.

Jason I did not taste any of the 95 and 91 in their youth but when I've talked to some producers in Portogal, some where saying that 2001 was more like a 1991 Vintage. Quality and attractive wine but not for the long haul. For what I've tasted many of the 95 are evolving faster than expected with some cooked fruits flavors.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2001 Q d Vesuvio

Post by Roy Hersh »

I only tasted this once and it was very early on, right after release.

I am growing to love the Vesuvio Ports, more and more with each new vintage. For off-vintages, I have really liked the '96 and feel it is the top entry right after the Nacional from that vintage. Also, the 1999 wow'ed me when I had it, but this was about four years ago and it was still a beast of burden, on the palate. It should flesh out well. 2000 and 1994 Vesuvio will both be legends in their time, somewhere around 2030 and 2040. These are incredibly well built wines that possess power, concentration and enormous structure that will allow these to go the distance (possible 5+ decades IMO).

2001 was not an impressive vintage but some nice Ports were produced. The 2001 is a solid effort and I agree with Jason that 12 hours to decant at this point, would not be excessive. I look forward to seeing what Jay thinks on day 2. Should be ready to go by now!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Indeed.

A little late with this note, I know, and the port was young, I know. :oops:

Opened up much better the second fday. More of everything and with deeper flavors, more nuance, and yummy. Still very little to no tannin to speak of, but that was fine. A fine young drinking port. :)