8 days left, so what Port will grace your Christmas table?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Johannes Stadler wrote:I'm just looking into that exact question and found some available Martinez 1994 which I could get for about 35€ (equals 25 Pounds or 50$).

Is the price fair? And is that port worth being picked up or should I even try to get some more to cellar them (which i can't do a lot at the moment).

The alternative would be a Taylor's Terra Feita 1982 for 36€ so virtually same price.

Can anyone compare the two or tell me which one you liked better?

Thanks for the advice, Johannes
I have not tried the Terra Feita, but $50 seems like a pretty reasonable price for the Martinez (hard to find it for that price in the US), which is a very very nice port, with a lot of upside. I would say a cellar candidate for sure!

Jay
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

No alcohol where I'm at right now, but there's a bottle of Champagne and one of Henriques&Henriques Old Boal waiting to open when I get home in a month or so!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As I have finished off another ten tasting notes on bottles of 2005 VPs I have obtained since the writing of last month's article, I will finish off the remains of the last three that I tasted:
2005 Burmester, Cockburn's Quinta dos Canais and Pocas. These will be on our Christmas Eve dinner table to share with my extended family.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Gary Banker wrote:1985 Taylor. But I'll drink that only if the 1933 Justino's malmsey runs out.

Gary
Gary,

From a recent tasting where the '85 Taylor was the disappointment of the night, if you intend to have this bottle, I would recommend a minimum of 12-18 hours of decanting. Prepare for a closed nose, a flat, boring palate... until around the 13th hour, and even then, only with rigorous swirling.

After 13 hours of decanting though, it started to show signs of something! ;)

I would really give it a day and a half before even sampling.

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

As for what I will be opening over Christmas, the following are lined up on Death Row, awaiting their sentences to be carried out:

1995 Smith Woodhouse and 1995 Warre side-by-side comparison. Of course, this will be after I return from one of the four Christmas dinners I will be attending (two sets of divorced parents makes for an extremely busy holuday season) as I will be driving and only one of my sets of parents enjoy Port.

After dinner on the 29th (a Saturday, which we will be spending out of town with my father) I have chosen a bottle of 1987 van Zellaer, which was one of two purchased when Cristiano van Zeller was in town for a tasting a few months ago. The second bottle, which remains in-cellar for now, was personally signed by him, a gesture I found touching and classy. Not only did he remember my name (in a room full of a dozen or more Port and wine enthusiasts) he signed it specifically to me, including a couple of details of my family which we had spoken of only briefly.

A couple of other bottles may end up "making the cut" so to speak, but they will be last-minute decisions.

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I hope you all had a really wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to New Year's Eve next.

When you have a moment, please do write up your tasting note for the PORT TASTING NOTE Forum. Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

Lars F wrote:Considering a Burmester 1986 Colheita, but I'm really not sure if a VP would go better with the traditional Danish christmas desert of creamed rice pudding with vanilla and hot cherry sauce. May substitute for a young VP.
I served Calem's LBV 2003 which I think suits this dessert well. Did you go for the Colheita?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Morton,

Welcome to the FTLOP forum, its great to have you here. This is a really great group of people, having been lucky enough to meet a number of them now. Thanks for stopping by and hope read more posts from you soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut et bienvenue Morton .
We don't bite , we just decant . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

Thank you.

I just very recently discovered port so I can't really contribute with much anytime soon.

My story: I was on a business trip to Lisboa this November and was able to take a few days off. During the days off I visited IVP several times. Lovely! The tastings opened up a new world and with be back home I brought a Krohn Colheita 1976 and a Quinta do Portal 2004 VP, which the seller recommended. I have yet to try these, although I did try the VP at the wine shop and was thrilled by it. It was my first sip of VP ever. Wow. I had to bring that one back home with me.

The main reason for buying such an old tawny was that I tried the 10-20-30 Dalva's at IVP (Dalva was the only one they had with a complete 10-20-30 set), and the 10 and 20 year old one's tasted way better than the 30 year old did. But the latter had such a wonderful nose that I had to find something similar to this. At that time I had absolutely no knowledge of port so I just bought one around 30 years old.

Some weeks later I attended a wine tasting at work with the following ports:
Kopke 10 Years, Tawny Port
Kopke 20 Years, Tawny Port
Kopke 30 Years, Tawny Port
Kopke 1997, Colheita Port
Kopke 1990, Colheita Port
Kopke 1979, Colheita Port
Kopke 1967, Colheita Port
Romariz 1991, Vintage Port (Morgan)
Romariz 1997, Vintage Port
Romariz 2003, Vintage Port

What a wonderful evening. I was now hooked on port.

Anyway, I'm off topic here. Sorry about that.

Morton
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glad you discovered our "little secret" :wink: Port is a great drink that often gets over looked, even by serious wine drinkers. I got hooked when someone gave me a glass of it and I loved it. My first purchase was a 1966 Taylors...havn't turned back since 8--)

BTW, as you discovered, Kopke makes some really good Tawnys and Colheita's...one of my favorite producers for these types of Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Morten O wrote:Romariz 1991, Vintage Port (Morgan)
Morton,

Great story on how you got hooked on port. Somewhere in the archives on FTLOP, there is a thread where some of us have given our backstories. If I get the time, I'll dig out a link to it if I can get the search facility to work.

When you listed out the ports that you tasted at your work function (who do you work for! What a great work event!), you called the Romariz 1991 a Morgan port. What told you that this was a Morgon port? I ask because I have some bottles which are labelled as "Morgan 1991 Vintage Port" but I have never associated these with Romariz before, so I would love to know more.

Thanks,

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Morgan (estab. in the early 1700s) was managed by Croft from the early 1950s. There used to be rumors that Morgan was just a blend of Croft & Delaforce, but I've heard that was not true, but others swear it was. Who knows? Regardless, no one can point to the quinta source of the grapes which I always found interesting. At best, Morgan used to receive the grapes/juice that Croft would not put in their own VP. It never made its way to the USA but the UK was their huge marketplace and Morgan was big into Buyer's Own Brand - Ports (BOB) which also is a British phenomenon that never made its way to the USA, except for rare bottlings at Trader Joe's or maybe once at Costco.

In the early daze of Morgan Brothers their Tawny Ports are what got them noticed. I had the 1991 VP only once and it was during my last visit to the UK in Oct., along with Tom Archer. Given the price he paid for them, it was a heck of a great deal and a solid VP, although I was not as impressed with it as I thought I would be (I had it blind so there was no label bias) from all that I had read. Nonetheless, I believe I scored it 92 and given the cost per bottle ... it was a steal of a deal. I wonder if it had been another 10 quid per bottle, if everyone would have been as impressed? :wink:

OTOH, Romariz was not founded until the mid-19th century, selling mostly to the market in Brazil, followed by the UK. That was then and since the early days, the order has been reversed (and then some). The Romariz family owned the company until 1966 and it wound up in the hands of Taylor Fladgate by way of the Guimaraens "link" but that is a long story. The Romariz property (a poor and deteriorated Quinta) near Regua is nothing to look at and would scare off serious Port lovers who have been to the likes of Noval/Vesuvio/Crasto/Vargellas etc. David Guimaraens helps in the production these days (as his father Bruce, used to) and things have improved in recent years ... especially since David took over. I am not sure but I remember something about Quinta d Nogueira being used by Romariz too, but I could be mistaken. As those on this year's Harvest Tour probably noticed, the Fonseca Lodge is used for bottling. The best Ports I have tasted (although not recently) was the 20 and 30 year old Tawny Ports. The guys who run the Romariz company day-to-day have invited me to come see what's new, but so far I have not taken them up on the offer. One of these days ... It should also be noted that Romariz bought the existing stocks of Borges in the late 1990s (or there abouts) and that has bolstered their Tawny Ports even more. The greatest wine you can find of theirs is the '44 Colheita and it would only be found in Portugl or an old UK cellar today, that is for sure.

As far as I know, there was no relationship between Romariz and Morgan until The Fladgate Partnership purchased Croft. Otherwise, I am not aware of a previous link, but that does not mean that there never had been one.

Morten,

Welcome aboard and thanks for the poignant post and introduction. Even if you feel you don't have much to add, you can always ask questions! :lol: Come back soon!
Morten O

Post by Morten O »

Al B. wrote:When you listed out the ports that you tasted at your work function (who do you work for! What a great work event!), you called the Romariz 1991 a Morgan port. What told you that this was a Morgon port? I ask because I have some bottles which are labelled as "Morgan 1991 Vintage Port" but I have never associated these with Romariz before, so I would love to know more.
Al,

There's no indication on the label that the Romariz should be connected to Morgan. I merely copy'n'pasted the agenda from the wine tasting.

At the company I work for we have a 'Gourmet Club' which arranges lots of tastings (beer - several times a year depending on the season's catalogue, wine, spirits, port, drinks, different kinds of food, etc) and it's just a cheap, convenient and wonderful way to explore the world's best products 8--)

Morton