January 2008 VT : Open a Douro dry red

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

January 2008 VT : Open a Douro dry red

Post by Frederick Blais »

As talked earlier we decided to taste Douro red for the first VT of 2008.

I got a Quinta do Vale Meao 2004 that was great during the hollidays, I'll post a tasting note on it as soon as my senses are coming back to me :?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

As I posted elsewhere here, how are we going to choose? Not all of us can find the same wine/availability limited in some areas. Could be a problem? Maybe draw up a list and go from there/pick say WineB which seems to be around for everyone.

On the UK forum, they do a PCE once in a while but many cannot find the correct vintage, if they can find the wine at all! Last one was the `06 Errazuriz Cab Sauv, many problems finding this simple wine

Bob P
Frederick Blais

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:As I posted elsewhere here, how are we going to choose? Not all of us can find the same wine/availability limited in some areas. Could be a problem? Maybe draw up a list and go from there/pick say WineB which seems to be around for everyone.

On the UK forum, they do a PCE once in a while but many cannot find the correct vintage, if they can find the wine at all! Last one was the `06 Errazuriz Cab Sauv, many problems finding this simple wine

Bob P
Not everyone has to taste the same wine, this is a VT to taste and read the diversity of Douro wines.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

OK, I guess it is my turn to start off the new year right by participating here more often. Thanks to Frederick, the Virtual Tasting Room continues to succeed.

Here is my entry for January:

2005 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Velha Reserva, DOC, Douro Red – I’ve watched this wine evolve from the first sample I had at the Quinta and it is a beauty and also represents great value. I paid $38 here in WA State, but it can be found for $30 elsewhere. Accents of blueberries, vanilla and roses in bloom round out the fresh fragrances. Ripe, full-bodied and luscious, concentrated boysenberry and black cherry flavors are infused with some chocolate which dominates the long finish. This is a very fine drink and will improve from here. Drink now to 2018+. 93 points ~ (1/4/07)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob Parsons Alberta

TN: `04 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines.

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

My second bottle of three! Owned by the Roquette family, new winemaker is Dominic Miller from land of Oz. Maybe a new direction in the coming years?

Blend of mainly Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional, foot-treading in lagares.
Bottled unfiltered, good natural cork, 14.5% alc, $26 Cdn. Expect this wine to be very expressive of the Douro!

Color. Dark purple, no red hints and no sign of age. The centre is getting close to being almost opaque.

Nose. Violets, cherry, berry fruits. Fresh, lively, hint of chocolate, oak and spice. No pepper and not much of a change after decanting for 3 hrs.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is ripe black fruits, soft tannins, smooth and drinks nicely. Giving it some time, noted silky/mocha/port-like/no heat.
Very nice balance`twixt the alcohol, the spice and the ripe fruit. Better half thought "cherry, plum some might think more of a modern style" but she has thought that before!
After 24 hrs, I was afraid of a downward closing trend but held up pretty well on further reflection. I did notice vanilla and coconut on the nose (how did I miss that last night?). Took into DeVines and staff thought top-notch, so there!
Frederick Blais

Quinta do Vale Meao Tinto 2004

Deep opaque colour with purple rim as we can normally expect from this wine so young. The nose is intense and profound with wild crushed berries flavours, good dose of ripe plums and underlying minerality. The palate is bold, bursting fruit flavours upfront, then the finely grained but highly concentrated tannins hits in a smooth and balanced maner. The acidity is low but enough to keep this fresh and sharp at this stage. The finish is showing great depth and complexity on a long fruity and mineral finish. 18/20+
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Are you guys asleep at the wheel? :lol: The month is half over.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

I don't want to drink one alone and meanwhile I am waiting for a friend to rsvp...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bob,

Dominic Miller is not new to Crasto. He has been there for awhile now.
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

Bob,

Dominic Miller is not new to Crasto. He has been there for awhile now.
Correct, but the name is Dominic Morris
Best Regards, João Rico
http://www.pumadas.blogspot.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

2003 Niepoort Vertente Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Had this tonight with a medium rare steak and chips. Very good color, no signs of age. The nose is soft cherries with some smoke in the background. The palate seems to be losing some of its big fruity youthfulness. Plums, dust, and some earthyness. There is just a very slight touch of spirit on the finish, but not as much as I remember on a previous bottle. There is still some tannins noticable but balanced with good acidity. The finish is medium. While a decent Douro wine and one I think is just starting to drink well, I still prefer the 2001 version. 88-89 points.
01/18/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Roy Hersh wrote:Are you guys asleep at the wheel?
Guilty as charged. I haven't done much wine-wise this month. Been trying to get over a cold, my sinuses are congested so I can hardly smell anything.

I did however pick up a bottle of 2003 Ramos Pinto Duas Quintas. I opened this a few days ago and I'm finishing off the rest tonight. It's got a nice deep violet-red color. I'm picking up a little cherry on the nose and that's it. The palate is medium weight with all components mostly in balance. Subtle acidity in the beginning, moderate tannins, fruit, then some more noticeable acidity towards the finish. The finish is nice and has good length.

It wouldn't be fair for me to score this wine so all I'll say is that it represents a good value for the $9 or $10 I paid for it.
Frederick Blais

Quinta do Noval 2004, Douro : The top dry wine of the estate. The expectation were high after the magnificient Valle Meao. And yet I was frankly deceived. There is nothing wrong with thise wine, though I found it was a copy of too many wine out there with no soul. This is having lush and sweet fruit, sweet oaky vanilly, no acidity, vivacity... Nobody took more than 2 wines at the table, it was not a friendly food wine. I was left with 1/3 of the bottle, I think it is the first time it happens with a non-cork wine I open.

It is the second time I taste this wine. Back in October it was sweet but the tannins were more present giving it a grip. Still I did not like the too ripe flavours of fruit.

For 3 times less the Cedro Do Noval is better and has nothing to envy to his big brother. I won't rate this wine as it is really not my type but I guess there are some people who will like the style.
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

1994 Casa Ferreirinha Reserva -

I went for this because over the years I've always had relatively recent vintages in Portuguese dry wines, and was curious about something with a little age on it. It happened to come by way of a particularly respected producer and hence I could not resist.

Color was a medium garnet. A bit murky, perhaps thanks to the cork having crumbled (fault of the opener, as in me) but it is an unfiltered wine. 2 slugs worth of sediment left clinging to the bottle sides. Not much of a nose within 5-10 minutes of opening, just a hint of berries and that took a lot of effort to get. An earthy wine, with hints of leather and cedar, and short on the finish.

Fast forward, after 40 minutes in a decanter:

The nose picked up some. A little spice and damp earth. The wine has opened up some and it has lengthened, but I find it just a bit tart which unfortunately for me is overtaking the rest. Kind of like having a beaujolais, or a Byron or Cambria pinot - albeit maybe heavier than that. Some like this style. It just isn't for me. Maybe it is a fluke bottle. Maybe it baked on the way to Los Angeles. Maybe it needs 4 hours of decanting; by then I'll be sleeping. I really want to like it. But how I long for Quinta do Vale do Meio, Duas Quintas...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Heather,

I picked up a couple of these at K&L when they got them. Havn't tried it yet, so thanks for the note. But I do have one on my death row. I'll have to give it a go and see if my bottle shows the same as yours. FWIW, the only note I've seen on it was the Squires one in the WA and he seemed to like it (gave it 92-93 points i think).

Were able to save any for a small taste this morning. Just curious to see if it came round or not?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

The Reserva from Ferreirinha IMO is at its best around 8-10 years. Then it does decline. I had the 94 on a few occasions and really liked it. It has strong acidity, it is definitively showing tart with time, lots of sour cherries, tobacco, damp earth and when not too old a good deal of complex exotic wood/spices.

I never understood why the Barca Velha can live 50 years effortless while the same grapes in other vintages can't last more than 10.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:Are you guys asleep at the wheel? :lol: The month is half over.
Affirmative - been a bit busy... ;)
I have a TN from last month, but have not yet digitized it in order to post. Now I have to find it so I can type it out!

Todd