Estremadura region to be binned for “Lisboa” - [harpers]

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mario Ferreira

Estremadura region to be binned for “Lisboa” - [harpers]

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Harpers
Your wine and spirit weekly | Issue 6320 | February 15 2008 | £3.95 | http://www.harpers.co.uk

PORTUGAL

Estremadura region to be binned for “Lisboa”

Portuguese region could adopt capital city name to end confusion with Spanish region

BY REBECCA GIBB

Portuguese wine region Estremadura looks set to be renamed Lisboa in a bid to gain greater international awareness and end confusion with Spanish region Extremadura. The regional wine commission has already changed its name to CVR Lisboa and submitted an official proposal to the Portuguese government to officially rename the wine region. If approved Estremadura would no longer be seen on Vinho Regional wine labels from 2008 onwards. A decision is expected within two months.

Carlos Fonseca, a member of the board of directors at the CVR Lisboa, and an Estremadura producer, said: “We have done this for marketing purposes. Lisbon is much better known than Estremadura. It’s a bit like using the Sud de France label for Languedoc-Roussillon wines.”

Plans for VR Lisboa had originally included neighbouring region Ribatejo, but winemaker José Neiva Correia of DFJ Vinhos, said: “It’s not the time yet but in one or two years’ time I think they will join.”

The decision to change the name was taken after commissioning research in 2007 to look at the image of the Estremadura region in both Portugal and its major export markets. There has often been confusion with the Spanish region of Extremadura, which borders Portugal, but the study found consumers readily identified with the capital of Portugal, Lisbon, Neiva Correia added: “When I’m out of Portugal I’m always explaining where Estremadura is – it’s 15km north of Lisbon. It will make it much less complicated for producers and consumers.”

However, the move has not been universally welcomed. The wines will be labelled Lisboa rather than Lisbon and some believe it should use the Anglicised name. James Frost, owner of Quinta de Santana, said: “I’m not convinced it’s a good move. It may be easier for people to associate the wine with Lisbon. Although people in England don’t necessarily know the word Lisboa.”

The region’s DOCs such as Bucelas, Colares and Carcavelos will not be renamed but it is hoped the individual commissions for each Denominaçao within the new Lisboa region will merge together under the CVR Lisboa as part of the Portuguese government’s aim to reduce the number of governing bodies throughout Portugal.