The 2008 Great Wine Seminar = best tasting event of the year

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The 2008 Great Wine Seminar = best tasting event of the year

Post by Roy Hersh »

Every year since 1998, I have been to The Great Wine Seminar.

Why? Simply put, it is the BEST wine event of nearly two dozen that I participate in each year. Many of the greatest wines I have tasted in my life have been from the past decade of attending this specific event. They are billed as “once-in-a-lifetime tastings” and they deliver on that promise.

The wines are of impeccable provenance typically directly from the source, the winemakers and owners show up to present their wines and provide great insights, the moderators are famous wine personalities and are open to questions and stress learning.

This event is for those looking to expand their knowledge and tasting experience with some of the finest wines in the world -- served year in and year out. I don’t miss this one! The Saturday night dinner is always incredible with a guest chef flown in for the evening.

I am a very satisfied guest and post this, because I enjoy meeting folks from various online wine Forums. If you only travel to do one extraordinary wine event this year, it should be this one! Read through the 2008 lineup and at the end there is an email address for the organizer.

This is always sold out by the end of February, so if you are even considering it, get in touch with Arlette and get on the list NOW. I’ll see you there!

Roy Hersh

Presenting

THE 23nd ANNUAL GREAT WINE SEMINAR

Clive Coates M.W.

Sponsored by L’ecole du Vin
Arlette G. Cataldo, CFP, President

April 12-13, 2008

Marriott West Palm Beach
1001 Okeechobee Boulevard
West Palm Beach, Fl. 33401

Clive Coates, M.W.,

CLIVE COATES MW (Master of Wine) is one of the world's leading wine authorities. Coates' lifetime of distinguished activity in the field has been recognised by the French government, which awarded him the Chevalier de l'Ordre du Mérite Agricole, and he's also been honoured with a "Rame d'Honneur" by Le Verre et L'Assiette, the Ruffino/Cyril Ray Memorial Prize for his writings on Italian wine, and the title of "Wine Writer of the Year" for 1998/1999 in the Champagne Lanson awards. His numerous books are considered some of the best ever written on the subject of wines and in particular the history of the vineyards. For more than twenty years his independent fine wine magazine “THE VINE” has been read by oenophiles world wide.

Saturday, March 17th, 2007

Registration and Breakfast

8:30 – 9:15 AM

Le Pavillon Ermitage

Maison M. Chapoutier

Rhone. -Syrah

9:30-11:30 AM

Presented by Michel Chapoutier Proprietor & Winemaker

From vines averaging 65 years in age this hermitage sets a standard for the wines. Michel took over the winemaking in 1990 with a burst of astonishing wines year after year. This monumental wine boasts extraordinary richness and clarity that at first taste will absolutely stun you with its brilliance. Michel himself will walk us through a history of Chapoutier’s presence in the Rhone from 1808 to the present day while we delight over these wines all coming from the Maison.

Lunch on your own
11:30 – 1:00 PM

1:00-3:00 PM

Chateau Angelus SA

Saint-Emilion

Presented by: Mme Coralie de Boüard

A scant kilometre from the famous bell-tower at Saint Emilion, on its renowned south facing "pied de côte" (foot of the hill) site, Château Angélus is the story of a passionate involvement of the last four generations of the Boüard de Laforest family. Coralie will talk about the vines averaging 30 years in age we will taste the wines going back to 1988.All of the wines originating from the Chateau cellars plus an added bonus of three vintages of La Fleur de Bouard.

Corton Clos-Rognet

Grand Crus

Domaine Meo-Camuzet

Burgundy
3:30 – 5:00 PM

Presented by

Jean-Nicolas Meo

It does not get more blue-chip than this Domaine! “At Vosne-Romanée, in the heart of the most prestigious vineyards in Burgundy, we have the good fortune to work 'terroirs' which have been known throughout the world for centuries. To be worthy of them and to remain loyal to them, our estate has developed a know-how inspired by tradition: we transcend ancestral methods so as to express the quintessence of each appellation.” The Domaine boasts four Grand Crus and nine premier Crus we will have the privilege of Jean Nicolas himself presiding over the tasting. Here, again all of the wines will come directly from the Domaine cellars.

Gourmet Dinner

7:30 – 11:00 PM

Brad Kelly, Chef de Cuisine

Chef Brad needs no introduction as our returning Chef. It is simply not fair that we get to have him and his team prepare for us once more. From Lautrec, Le Bec Fin and La Cote Basque are just a small past of his resume.. We are honored and lucky to have them prepare this year’s gourmet dinner once again. Sous Chef Jeremy Voytish and Micah Robinson sommelier will again be assisting with preparations, decanting and guiding us throughout the dinner.

Sunday March, 18th 2006

Le Domaine des Baumard

Loire Valley

10:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Presented by:

Florent Baumard

Winemaker & Proprietor

Quarts de Chaume and Savennieres I can not chose which one I like better- so we will be having both! With a criss-cross tasting Florent will take us through the Domaines wines horizontally followed by two outstanding verticals back to 1945. Florent is unquestionably one of the worlds greatest winemakers and with the help of Frederick Ek ProprietorEx Cellars Wine Agencies we will be dazzled by this spectacular “once in a lifetime” tasting of these wines.

FOR REGISTRATION DETAILS, PLEASE CONTACT ARLETTE CATALDO:

[email protected]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Meo-Camuzet :P Lucky boy!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company