Port Dinner in Winston-Salem NC

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Port Dinner in Winston-Salem NC

Post by *123 »

Just in case there are any locals not on the mailing list of the shop or restaurant (I am not associated with either, other than as a customer)

Dow's Port Dinner at Meridian Restaurant

Wednesday, February 20th 6:30 PM
$55 per person (plus tax and gratuity)

We are pleased to partner with Meridian Restaurant to present a five-course dinner paired with Ports from one of the top port houses in Portugal, Dow's. This will be a really unique and special dinner, so bring your friends! Meridian Restaurant is located at 411 South Marshall Street, Winston-Salem, in the Tar Branch Towers, a new four-story condominium located in the heart of Old Salem, just south of downtown Winston Salem.

Reservations are required and can be made by calling Meridian at (336)722-8889.

Menu and Port Pairings

First Course
Sea Scallops
Dow’s Fine White Tawny Porto

Second Course
Venison
Dow’s Trademark Porto

Third Course
N.C. Ostrich
Dow’s Val do Bomfim*

Fourth Course
Duck
Quinta Riberira 2005

Dessert
Crème Caramel
Dow’s 10 Year Tawny Port

*Roy suggested that it should be Quinta do Bomfim, or it many be the Reserva Vale do Bomfim.

"T"
Jesse L.
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Jesse L. »

I'm very interested to see how this event turned out... I am the Mid-Atlantic supplier rep for the Symington Family (Dow's, Graham, Smith Woodhouse, etc) and was talking to the distributor rep back in January about some ideas for this coursed Dow's dinner. The menu looks amazing - Did anyone have the pleasure of attending & if so, care to comment?

Jesse
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Yes, it would be good to hear how this was. T, did you go?

Post by *123 »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Yes, it would be good to hear how this was. T, did you go?
Alas, no; I would have loved to have gone (esp for the third course) but didn't think I'd be in great shape to give an 8:00 lecture the next morning :D

"T"
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Terrance and Jesse,

I hope you are not going to be "one hit wonders" and now disappear on us. Jesse, as a Symington rep, how long have you be lurking before posting here on this thread?

I am curious because I know how many folks in Portugal tell me that they are on here all the time, but never are willing to show "their face" on FTLOP.

I truly look forward to have you participate here and occasionally shed some light in discussions where an insider's view would be poignant and appreciated.

Cheers! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com

Post by *123 »

Well, port and Madeira are only a small (but fun and interesting) part of my wine life these days, so I may not have much to say, but I'm v. difficult to shake off :shock:

"T"
Jesse L.
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Jesse L. »

Roy:

I hope to engage in discussion more than just occassionally, given this is a category that is very dear to my heart but I would qualify my participation as more personal than professional...

To your question, my lurking career began just 20 mins prior to the post :lol: A colleague recommended I visit your site after I was out working the market with a couple of SQVP's & Dow's declared for your commentary/perspective on the vintages and I guess it dawned on me who you were after some anecdote I heard about a tasting at Malvedos or Vesuvio? Maybe....? So two and two & I figured I'd better check it out sooner than later.

I heard a glowing endorsement of a recent Madeira event (which I believe was yours - yes I'm still a neophyte and have yet to explore most of the contents of the site) I think it was in DC, which is where I call home & I was looking to snatch up any interesting pairing ideas for events that I had in the pipeline, especially along the lines of a Madeira dinner / Vintage event which appears to be handled very proficiently here. Or better yet, I'd love to attend one of these in the future even if it given by Rare Wine Co who I sell against...

Off topic... Have you had an opportunity to taste any of the '07 cask samples, or is it too premature for that? I'm sure you've heard rumblings in your recent travels about what wineries feel they can do with the vintage given what was seen in the lagar?

Cheers,

Jesse