VANCOUVER OFFLINE

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

VANCOUVER OFFLINE

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am coming up for the Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival and we have an offline planned on Friday, Feb. 29th. I've reserved a spot or two ... just in case FTLOP members from the area would like to be invited. Please let me know ASAP and I'll arrange the rest with you by email.

I hope to meet a few of you and have already included on long time "lurker" from FTLOP.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Damn, well I will only miss you in Vancouver by two months Roy. :? I will be there at the end of April for a week long course. I may be sticking around to run the Vancouver Marathon - what better an event to celebrate finishing than with a good bottle (or multiple bottles) of Port!

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well, if nothing else my friend ... I will see you again for the crazy weekend of Port and great wines up in Edmonton, in November!

You are always welcome to come down here, but with another little one at home now, I have a feeling you'll never accumulate enough "wife points" to accomplish that.

Good news for me is that the couple that I stay with in Vancouver (who are good friends and stay with Dorene and me a few times each year) has put together a really excellent Barolo offline that will be capped with some Madeira and Port of course, albeit I may have to pop a Vin Santo as well. We are going to my favorite restaurant there, La Gavroche which although French by menu, is owned by a cool Portuguese Chef with the last name Ferreira.

One year I was dining there with Cristiano Van Zeller, Sandra Tavares da Silva, Dirk Niepoort and their local agent for BC. The famous chef/owner was so proud to have these folks in his place that be brought over a gorgeous old bottle of Chateau d'Yquem at the end of our meal. A very generous and talented man, to say the least.

There are going to be a half dozen or more of winemakers from the Douro at this Festival (as always) and I am looking forward to seeing my friends and drinking some of their great wines. Occasionally, there is even a good buy to be found at the Festival. Last year I picked up a bunch of the 2004 Crasto Reserve reds at a good price.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:Well, if nothing else my friend ... I will see you again for the crazy weekend of Port and great wines up in Edmonton, in November!
That you will Roy, and barring unforeseen deaths in the family, hopefully I will be able to attend any secondary activities I am invited to! :)
Roy Hersh wrote:You are always welcome to come down here, but with another little one at home now, I have a feeling you'll never accumulate enough "wife points" to accomplish that.
I may be able to get enough wife points by the time 2020 rolls around and two out of three kids are over 18 years old! ;) In all seriousness, the trip to Seattle that we were planning to take last year and got put off may occur next year, and I would definitely make time to open a few good bottles with you. If not, I am starting to do some more traveling with my job, so although wife points do get consumed rapidly while I am away for a week at a time, the hopes is that the company I do the consulting work with will bring me through Seattle more often. The airport there seems to be one of the hubs that Edmontonians have to jump through to get flights in and around the US, particularly the East... I am going through Toronto in March, but only due to the fact that it meant much less in-flight time than jumping backwards thru Seattle and then all the way across the continent to Boston... and the layover time in Seattle wouldn't have allowed us ANY time to get together unless you met me on the tarmac with a bottle! ;)

Needless to say, one of these days, I will spend some wife points and some air miles to make it down to Seattle... Now that I know whenabouts your birthday falls, I may have to show up one day with a birthday present for you... although it may pale next to the wide and deep arsenal you have at your disposal in your own cellar, I can try to hunt down something that you will at least ENJOY! :D

Todd