1983 Dow

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bob bman

1983 Dow

Post by Bob bman »

Hard to believe this is the first TN here for this wine, but I couldn't find another one.

Tasted over Christmas. Decanted only one hour. My notes below should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt as I had a stuffy nose, the beginning of a cold, when tasted.

Drier than most vintage ports, typically Dow. I tasted currants, fig, some cherry, menthol and some smokiness on the finish. I should have decanted this for longer, as it was much smoother and fuller the next day. Probably still not fully mature.

No score due to the afore-mentioned stuffy nose.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1983 Dow

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is so hard to taste ... even Ports when you have a cold so I can commiserate with you on that Bob. I love the 1983 Dow. Got 'em for a steal nearly 20 years ago for $19 for the first two cases. I only have two left from those cases and bought another in the late 1990s for $39 per bottle at the time.

Regardless of the pricing, this has always been one of my top half dozen Ports of the 1983 vintage. I have not had one of these since January 30th, but at that tasting, I truly felt it was still a remarkably young VP with an easy 2 more decades of fine drinking ahead of it. Super juice. You know, looking at Dow from 1963 on, there are very few weak spots in the lineup. Even less than stellar years like 1980 and 1991 are both great years for Dow. Glad this is one of the producers I loaded up on, early and often. Never can have enough Dow!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob bman

Re: 1983 Dow

Post by Bob bman »

I'm glad to hear you say that, Roy, as I may have more Dow that anything else. I opened a 77 a couple of weeks ago and while it was nice, it made me think that my tastes really swing more towards the sweeter, Graham's end of the spectrum than the drier Dow end. Still, as you say, one can never have too much Dow (or too much port, period - at least, that's what I tell my wife! :lol: )