What is up for April?

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

What is up for April?

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I will be spending the first few days in April, drinking with Moses and Sean likely. While I hope this trip to Boston includes a few firsts for me, perhaps we can decide on a theme and if it is possible, we can have an offline that plays along the theme of the April VT.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

One of the suggestions Moses had for our offline was 70s - 80s VPs, of which I am supplying a Smith Woodhouse 1977 and trying to source out another bottle, perhaps an 80 Dow (beside the one that will continue to reside in my cellar - that one has special meaning to me) or a '77 Warre which I believe is available in a shop in Boston for a decent price.

I suspect that a theme like that may be too open-ended and would likely eliminate many potential participants. Just throwing it out as my suggestion though. <shrug>

Todd
Al B.

Re: What is up for April?

Post by Al B. »

I'm up for an April theme of Vintage Port from the '70s and '80s. That's actually something that I could easily be able to source a bottle to take part in (I have struggled the last few months to find the time to get a bottle to fit the theme).

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sounds good to me.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I'm in, i have some i want to try :P
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

So we're doing an Arena Rock theme for April? That'd be about what, 1970 to 1985? (Okay, that's a bit generous on either end, but close enough.)
Glenn Elliott
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I expected it to be shot down, but yeah, 70-85 is about right. One could argue that there are some decent '87s out there - and with 20 years of age, we won't be discriminatory! :)
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sounds like a good idea!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I think a more narrow scope than a 20 year span would be preferable. How about a tasting of the 1977 vintage?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Like Al-B I have struggled to find bottles for this in recent months so I think a fairly wide theme would be good, even if just for this one month. My records show that there were at least 332 Vintage Ports produced between 1970 and 1985 so there should be something in there for everyone :wink:

If we did want to narrow the scope slightly we could always restrict it to the generally declared years of 1970, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1983 and 1985 or the intervening years, which may in fact be more interesting and easier for some people to find. Just a thought, not quite a suggestion.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I like that suggestion with 1987 included too. OK, time to create some fun and pick a wine to enjoy for April. Something I have not had in quite awhile. Hmmmmm.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com