10 Year Old Tawny Port by Warre's Otima

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lamont Huxley

10 Year Old Tawny Port by Warre's Otima

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Orangey-amber color with a nose of dried apricots, nuts, and nutmeg. Initially fairly sweet on the palate, but balanced. The flavors are similar to those on the nose along with some woody spices emerging in the middle and continuing through the finish that echoes with persistant notes of apricot. A solidly made and tasty 10 year tawny, if just a little on the simple side. Thumbs up.
The Port Maverick
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Warre's "Otima" 10 year Tawny

Post by Roy Hersh »

I must be honest Lamont. Of all the 10 year old Tawnies, this is probably my least favorite. That said, I am so much a fan of the Otima 20 year old and find them night and day in terms of overall quality. If you can find a bottle of the 20, please do give it a try and tell me what you think in a comparative sense.

Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Roy,

I don’t think I would say that this was my least favorite of the 10 year tawnies that I’ve tasted, but I would put it solidly in the lower end of the spectrum. Certainly nothing exceptional, but I didn’t find anything distasteful about it either – just an easily enjoyable sipper – perhaps I was a bit generous in my wording.

I’ll keep my eye out for the 20 year. I would be happy to try it but don’t recall ever having seen it for sale, while it seems like the 10 year is stocked in every store I walk into – strange.
The Port Maverick
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hmm... I, too, have been unimpressed by the Otima 10-yr old and so I had written off their 20-yr old as well. I might have to give it a try, though, if it doesn't hold "true to style" with the 10-yr old!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lamont and Glenn,

Do give the Otima 20 year old a try. It is leaps and bounds better than the 10 year, which sucks IMO.

Lamont, do grab a bottle of the 20 year to compare the two and you will notice a hugh difference between them. The 20 year is well worth buying and I have several bottles of this in my cellar.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Wow, this is like the supervillian of ports! :joker:
The Port Maverick
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Just for an opposing view, I think the 10yr old is gorgeous, for what it is. A mouth-feel that rivals a good VP. A nutty creaminess that allows folk to start to understand Tawny's. It's not impressively cultured or structured, but it's really cheap.

It takes all sorts to make the World go round.

Alan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan,

You are right that it takes all sorts to make the world go round. As this is a Port that is really ear-marked for the entry level Port connoisseur. Its a good price, in a flashy package, and shows resonably well for someone without much experience in aged tawny's.

But it pales when compared to the 20 year old...and I mean night and day! I wish they put forth more effort in the 10 year, as it really could be a leader in the 10 year category if they did. But I also understand their marketing for this tawny...and it ain't for all us Port nerds :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com