When opening a bottle of Port ... how many pours do you get?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

When opening a bottle of Port ... how many pours do you get?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Of course the glass size must be taken into account, but typically how much do you pour?

Does this vary when you have company? Is it the same when you have a larger tasting or just a single bottle?

Also, does driving have a significant influence on your decisions?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: When opening a bottle of Port ... how many pours do you get?

Post by Glenn E. »

I usually get 8-10 pours from a full bottle. I don't know whether or not it is correct, but I have heard that a serving of Port is supposed to be 3 oz while a serving of red wine is supposed to be 6 oz. That's pretty close to 4 servings of wine or 8 servings of Port in a 750 ml bottle.

My pour does vary depending on my mood, but I wouldn't say that it changes when I have company. Since I always use the same glasses and they're all identical, it's pretty easy to hit the same spot every time and get consistent pours.

Driving doesn't normally affect my pours because I typically drink at home in the evening, so there's no more driving to be done for that day. I am a bit of a light weight, though, so if I'm drinking at a restaurant I have to be careful to make sure I have enough time before I have to drive home. 2 glasses is normally my limit for a dinner/evening out (assuming 3-4 hours).
Glenn Elliott
Jeffrey Karp
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States of America - USA

Post by Jeffrey Karp »

Laura and I get four to six pours of Port per bottle although it definetly depends on the vintage and producer as well as our mood on any given evening.
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I'd sy about 8 or so, with uaually another 1-2 tasters...one when the bottle is opend, and maybe a quick sip more just before bed.......
Scott Anaya
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

A bottle of port opened at home will last for four days with two glasses of port per night. That makes eight pours out of a decanted bottle (and also makes 3.75 units of alcohol per night!). Most of that is drunk by me but there are always a couple of sipps from each glass drunk by my other half.

I will not drink port (or any significant amount) if I know that I have to drive later the same evening.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

About 8 pours...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

I haven't measured it, but 8-10 pours. I always use the same glases (wine tasters), they are the more similar to VP glass that I've got. It does the matter for me being along or with others, the process will be the same. Non VP usually last opened more than a month, while VP, less than a day.
As here penalties for driving drunk are very high, when I've to drive, I don't drink (and I'm used to drink wine nearly in every meal).
sarahjoe

Post by sarahjoe »

hey everyone
nice discussion i really like thanks for sharing :)
sofi
John M.

Post by John M. »

8-12 for just me or a couple others--I tend to like small pours especially if using a standard port glass. At Port Night events, there at 14 of us so the pours are small....of course there are multiple bottles.

Driving: No one can afford a DUI on so many levels. I will have one drink over dinner if out, maybe two if a protracted evening if driving. For Port Night we all walk or have a spouse give us a ride.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

If it's just me, then I get 4-5 pours! [foilhat.gif]
But with a group sharing, then about 6.
For a tasting, as many as 10-12.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

At home, around 8-9 pours/bottle, whether alone or with friends.

If driving, none.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

sarahjoe wrote:hey everyone
nice discussion i really like thanks for sharing :)
Methinks we have an auto-bot/spammer here. I'm all for welcoming anyone from anywhere if he or she has something to add to the discussion, but this didn't really add anything. I suppose with about 71,000 non-Muslims there is a chance to get a Port in Faisalabad, maybe? sarahjoe, do you have an alcohol permit, and can you buy anything other than beer and liquor there, let alone Port?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just one...my pour from bottle to mouth ;) LOL Really depends on the glass size and how many people are sharing said bottle. But between roughly 7-15 normally
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It also depends on the quantity of Ports that will be in a particular tasting. If one bottle, it is way different than if holding a 12 bottle horizontal or vertical, at which you could pour 1.25 oz. pours and typically get up to 18 pours. That still would equate to each taster drinking slightly more than half a bottle of Port. I've seen Bartholomew Broadbent pour 20-25 people from a single bottle at tastings.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: I've seen Bartholomew Broadbent pour 20-25 people from a single bottle at tastings.
Could they actually taste that small of a sample? [help.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Varies depending on whether its a cozy evening watching Netflix with the wife or sharing a bottle with friends. I'd say about 6 in the couch category, but I'll use a slightly larger glass, and perhaps 12 with friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

For those who remember the reference ... In the famous words of the wise owl from the Tootsie pop commercial ...

"One, two, three ... (crunch). Three."

Actually, I get about 8 pours out of a 750ml bottle. But, my wife says I pour too generously.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gary Richardson wrote:For those who remember the reference ... In the famous words of the wise owl from the Tootsie pop commercial ...

"One, two, three ... (crunch). Three."

Actually, I get about 8 pours out of a 750ml bottle. But, my wife says I pour too generously.
[rotfl.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

When pouring for a tasting we won't pour more that 14 glasses from a bottle. After decanting, you're left with about 70cl in a bottle so this equates to a 5cl pour - enough to take 2-3 sips from a glass and perhaps give the port some time to develop further once poured.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What is a CL? I thought it was a Mercedes designation. :lol: