Open 3 Years and still tasty

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scott Anaya

Open 3 Years and still tasty

Post by Scott Anaya »

Tasting with a Distributor here in Anchorage, the Rep pulled out a Ramos Pinto 10 yr tawny Quinta Ervamoira that was still not only drinkable, but down right tasty. This old one was even preferred by a veteran taster among three of us. I found the only difference to be was that the 3 yr opened one had a considerable shorter finish.

Kind of a fun thing to discover.
Scott Anaya
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Open 3 Years and still tasty

Post by Roy Hersh »

There is no way to explain these oddities. I was at Mannie Berk's last year and was tasting through many Madeira from his private stash. With one bottle in particular, he asked me to elaborate on and provide my opinion. After doing so, I was told the bottle had been open 9 years. I had a significant "enlightenment" at that moment.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

I often have colheitas standing around opened for months and months.

Either my taste is crappy, or these wines don't change much.

This weekend I had the last fifth of a bottle of Burmester 86 that had been open for four months. It was beautiful.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Nikolaj Winther wrote:I often have colheitas standing around opened for months and months.

Either my taste is crappy, or these wines don't change much.
Last year I found a bottle of Taylor 20 yr Tawny that had been opened for two years and had a quarter of the bottle left. I thought it tasted great... I suspect the same of my palate... :shock:

Todd