June VT suggestions

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

June VT suggestions

Post by Andy Velebil »

My fellow Port and Madeira drinkers,

we are about a week and a half away from the new month and I guess it's time we start figuring out what next month holds in store for our drinking pleasure....

Any suggestions for next month???
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lars F

Re: June VT suggestions

Post by Lars F »

How about any colheita from the eighties? I've got a 1985 lined up anyway 8--)

-Lars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Lars F wrote:How about any colheita from the eighties? I've got a 1985 lined up anyway 8--)

-Lars
I was thinking of either going for a Colheita or Madeira, I think we only did one on Madeira.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Madeira sounds like fun to me and it has been a long while since we did a Madeira VT.

Anyone else have any suggestions, we are getting close to the end of the month....everyone's input is welcomed and wanted, after all it's all of us that will participating in the VT.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I'd second the madeira idea also. I have very little experience with them and it's been a long time since I've had one.
The Port Maverick
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've had a slew of VPs this week and a fine bottle of Madeira will be most welcome. Any parameters on the type of Madeira?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

I’m sure I’ll have a chance to open a bottle of Madeira sometime in June. Perhaps we should go by style or shipper to make it easier for people to acquire bottles (as it looks like at least two of us will be doing)?
Frederick Blais

Roy Hersh wrote:I've had a slew of VPs this week and a fine bottle of Madeira will be most welcome. Any parameters on the type of Madeira?
I guess it would depends on how easy it is for the community to find either a specific House, Vintage style or grape... I know here in Quebec the selection is not wide...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Madeira seems to be hit or miss in most markets as to what's available. I'd probably say "Any Madeira" would be best...or one type (Malmsey, Bual, sercial, etc). If we're too specific that will probably exclude most people. :twocents:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

What's the sweet end of Madiera? Is that Malmsey? I'd want to find something on that end of the spectrum for me to participate. :D
Glenn Elliott
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Glenn E. wrote:What's the sweet end of Madiera? Is that Malmsey? I'd want to find something on that end of the spectrum for me to participate. :D
I'd agree with Glenn. I've had a dry Madeira or two and found them interesting, but I'm very partial to the sweeter styles. What can you expect from a Port nut? :roll:
The Port Maverick
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I would be open to a Madeira as well, particularly a Malmsey. I also am partial to "sweet" and with the amount of money I will have to shell out for a decent bottle of Madeira, it may as well be one which I will take to more readily with the sweetness. 8--)

My first Madeira with any indication of age was a couple of months ago with Moses in Boston. It was tasty and I would like to discover more. :)

Todd
Frederick Blais

I guess we could go with Mamsley tasting for the next VT, sounds excellent!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

sounds like a plan to me....so would the theme would be "Any Malmsey Madeira" ???
Frederick Blais

Andy Velebil wrote:sounds like a plan to me....so would the theme would be "Any Malmsey Madeira" ???
This is what I think too.