2003 Quinta de la Rosa LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

2003 Quinta de la Rosa LBV Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Last night, knowing I've been putting in a lot of overtime at work recently, a friend of mine called and said he was on his way over and would be at my place in 10 minutes....so I best get my butt ready to head out and drink some wine. We ended up at Vinatero Wine Shop, which is a nice little place that has a wine/beer bar. After a couple of glasses of wine, that just wasn't hitting the spot I wondered over to the Port section...cause that is what us Port nerds do :D Low and behold I see this one sitting on the shelf. I've not had this one before, so I grabbed the bottle and opened it to share with a few of the regulars at bar. There was about 1/3 of a bottle left (I had to get up early for work today or it would have been all gone) so I took it home.

The grapes for this are foot-trodden, something not often seen in an LBV. A good and solid dark ruby color. The nose was initally very tight and today has opened up showing lavendar, plums, and black currants. The nose is quite soft and shows very good integration. A mid-weight palate gives way to some rather course and prominate tannins at this young stage. There is some nice black berries and eucaplyptis, the latter of which is not as promenant as last night (which was mentioned by several people). There is quite a bit of acidity that shows up on the back palate that adds some complexity to a rather long finish. This is a very tasty bottle and worthy of cellaring for another 10+ years, as I think this needs more time to reach its full potential. 89-90 points
06/04/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com