10 Year Old Tawny Port by Ferreira

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

10 Year Old Tawny Port by Ferreira

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bottled in 2006

So there wasn't a whole lot of the Quinta de la Rosa LBV left, so I cracked this open for a final nightcap. I've always loved the nose on this Port. It is one of those that I just love to smell over and over again. Lots of spices, cedar, molasses, carmel, and honey. The allspice, heat, vanilla, and cinnamon all combine to make an explosive taste that is a prelude to a long seductive finish. Since I was first introduced to this 10 year tawny it has become one of my favorites, along with the Niepoort and Sandeman versions. If your looking for a top notch 10 year old tawny this is one to seek out. 91 points.
06/04/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 10 Year Old Tawny Port by Ferreira

Post by Roy Hersh »

Always a treat, not only to finally read a new tasting note :roll: here, but one about the 10 year old Tawny. I think that just like its sibling the 20 year old Tawny Duque de Braganca by Ferreira, this younger version is in the top tier of the Tawnies in its age classification.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Re: 10 Year Old Tawny Port by Ferreira

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I can find neither the 10 nor 20 year old Tawny by Ferreira around my parts, but did try a bottle of the 10 year while I was in California about this time last year. It was much as you describe and I enjoyed it a great deal. Given more room in the suitcase, (and more funds in the wallet) several bottles of both the 10 and 20 would have found their way home with me.

Todd