2003 Niepoort Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

2003 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sunday with Luc I did open this to celebrate is first experience with Niepoort VP. I think that on that day I could not open a more perfect bottle, it was shining.

The nose was so expressive, with mixing essence of dark ripe plums, black cherries and current, not to forget the fragrance of sexy floral notes. The palate is just a dark horse. It was almost undrinkable 2 years ago when it was release with powerful peppery tannins taking over the palate, but today it is evolving in a civilized manner with bold and ripe fruits taking care of the agressive tannins just like a mother to her baby. The balance and the depth are just incredible and still that grip reminding you how much concentration this port has to last for decades! Don't get fool by this complex early enjoyable, yet baby VP, it will last longer than you. Buy a case of candles along with a case of this VP, your heir will need them too! 19/20

Ok, for those who care about young VP that had some time in the decanter, I kept 20% of the bottle int he fridge. 2 days later, it is not showing as good. Unfortunately it has lost his floral notes, the palate got softer, still full of bold tannins just a tad less grippy, the finish is not as lingering either. I would rate this sample 17/20

I'm the kind who always likes his VP within the first 12 hours of opening to get more freshness out of it.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Niepoort Vintage 2003

Post by Roy Hersh »

In this particular case, I believe your first impression with Luc, was the best. I am not convinced that keeping this in the refrigerator a couple of days, did it any favors. I've had this many times now and your notes early on seem right on the money from my experience. If you want to keep this open to see how it evolves a day or two later, you are better off just putting the remainder back in the bottle at room temperature.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Roy Hersh wrote: If you want to keep this open to see how it evolves a day or two later, you are better off just putting the remainder back in the bottle at room temperature.
This is what I normally do but right now room temperature is 30 celcius with 90% humidity :help:
Frederick Blais

I don't think I ever had port that lasted for more than 2 days once opened but with crazy weeks and job and in wine drinking, this Niepoort was still alive with one more glass in the Decanter. Tonight I had to put an end to this.

The nose lost a little of expression, but it is still very fresh! On the palate, tannins are tamed on the entry, bursting flavours of ripe rasberries makes this young VP so enjoyable to drink, the finish is still packed with bold tannins.