Porto wine shop suggestions

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ronald Wortel

Porto wine shop suggestions

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I've been to Porto a couple of times, but have yet to find a very good wine shop with a broad selection. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Definitively Tio Pepe in Oporto, I don't have the address with me, I'll try to find it. Price are ok.

The best place I've found in Portugal for choice and price was in Valencia, 1,5 hour ride from Oporto, near the Spain border. Though I did not shop extensively in Lisbon because on Sunday most of the store are closed early.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the tip Fred!
In case you can't find the adress, can you remember in which part of the city the shop is? It makes searching a bit easier. :)
Gerdinho

Port wine shop suggestions

Post by Gerdinho »

Here you can find the "garafeira tio pepe" http://www.garrafeiratiopepe.pt/tio.html
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the link, it indeed looks like something to check out.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ronnie,

I know that you and Steve are over there in Porto right now as I was "informed" this a.m. by email of your whereabouts.

Please do see Maria Teresa, a FTLOP Forum participant and mostly a lurker, who runs this excellent, yet small shop called:
VINHOS DE QUINTA ... AVEPOD.

The address is Rua Fonte Taurina 89 - Ribeira - 4050 Porto. It is not easy to find if you are not looking for it specifically. It is at the end of the alleyway, just behind the Pestana hotel in the Ribeira district.

It has a great selection of well priced Douro red wines and the prices are not marked up to retail from the producer's pricing due to being an "association" of members who are the producers themselves. More on this shop in an upcoming article.

A must visit while you are there! Please tell Maria you are from FTLOP and she'll treat you both like Rock Stars!
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andrew N.

Post by Andrew N. »

try casa januirio rua formosa(porto) ask for for nuno,hopefully he will take you through the back to the good stuff.there is a good resturaunt right across the road serving great spit roasted pork.