Question from a madeira newbie

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Question from a madeira newbie

Post by Andy Velebil »

Since I have only had Madeira once, what would be some good recommendations to start with. Preferably not too expensive (well, I say that now but I'm sure things will change in time).

Also, what is the major difference between Madeira and Port. I'm sure it has large differences but I just don't know much about Madeira.

THanks in advance
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The MAJOR difference between Madeira and Port is the taste. They are not similar. Although there are various styles for both wines, the differences are more prominent than the similarieties:

Port is almost always a blend of grapes, where Madeira is most frequently the product of a single grape (which varies by style).

Port is aged in cask or bottle in a cool cellar and Madeira requires heat during the production/aging process.

Port is meant to be consumed within a couple of days up to a couple of months after opening, depending on the specific category. Madeira is produced in such a manner that once the bottle is opened, it will not be affected by oxidation and can last in bottle for months on end.

Port is best stored lying on its side, while Madeira is best stored standing up in the cellar.

Madeira is probably the longest lived wine, once bottled. Heat nor oxygen will hurt Madeira even though either of these conditions would destroy any other wine, including Port. Madeiras going back to the late 1700s are still commercially available (and expensive too!) but will reward those looking for an amazing experience. I have tried a 1795 bottling, but will say that the best old vintage Madeira I have ever tasted was from 1802. My TNs on that wine and others will be in the August 2005 newsletter, although this was from a tasting 2 years ago, that I never got around to writing about.

As to which Madeiras to try to get you started, I am not the best person to answer that question. I do not drink much in the way of:
Rainwater, 3 year old, 5 year old, 10 year old, 15 year old or even Solera method Madeiras, but you can find tasting notes in the TN section of this website. Not to sound like a snob ... it is just that I don't buy them and friends don't put any in front of me ... although I have tried some in the past. I drink mostly Vintage Madeiras (VMs) from the 1960s back as far as I can get 'em. I love VMs and they are what has peaked my interest although the nice old Soleras also turn me on.

I hope other Madiera lovers will add their two cents here. A friend of mine, bottles and imports a 10 year old Malmsey (Malmsey is the English word for the Portuguese Malvasia (or Malvazia ... either is correct) grape. The Broadbent 10 year old Malmsey is not only delicious, it is very affordable. I can say that I have received many thank yous for recommending this Madeira to folks looking for an everyday Madeira. I recommend this wine, not because of my friendship with the family, but because this wine delivers far more Madeira drinking pleasure than the price commands. If you don't like this wine, other Madeira is probably not going to appeal to you.

Again, I do hope that other's will chime in with their views on fine entry level Madeiras that won't break the bank.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

thank you for the info. I had no idea that Madeira was so durable, even after openning. I definitely plan to track down the Broadbent 10-year old Malmsey and give it a shot. When I try it I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

Check for pricing and avaiability on winesearcher.com as I have seen more than a $10 differential per bottle, in the price range offered at retail.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cool, thanks