Port discoveries -

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port discoveries -

Post by Roy Hersh »

In 2007 and 2008 so far, what has your greatest Port discovery been? It doesn't necessarily have to be a specific bottle of Port, but it certainly may be just that.

However, it might be a specific category, a Shipper or producer, a particular vintage that you have grown to appreciate during that time frame, etc.

Please no Pink Port jokes. :snooty:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Port discoveries -

Post by Glenn E. »

My greatest discovery over the last 2 years has been the Ramos Pinto Quinta do Bom Retiro 20-yr old Tawny. 20-yr old Tawnies are easily my favorite category of Port, but I never thought I would find a 20-yr old better than my old favorite, the Porto Rocha. I had the Ramos Pinto for the first time at the Solar do Vinho do Porto in Porto in June of 2007 and it was eye opening.

It's more difficult to acquire, but for me it is well worth the effort.
Glenn Elliott
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

I almost hesitate to post this, but "young chicks dig port."
From my two daughters, to my niece, to the babysitter and my kids teacher, young women seem to love Port.

I think the sweetness plays a role, but I think it's the flavor profile as well. My wife has forbidden my from conducting further research, so I'm very interested in other's findings.
Any Port in a Storm
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hey Demop., where the heck have you been hiding?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I think Fred and I might share this one :
- The look on are faces when we looked at Sean's death row . :(
The next discovery is more personal in nature :
- It was interesting to see that the porcelain god at Sean's place accepted not only two 1963 VP's but a 1950 VP as well . :winebath:
This was also my 600th post . :salute:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Luc,

600 posts in just over 1.5 years ... all I can say is thank you! :thumbsup:

On the other hand, I've never puked from Port of any type, so I can't feel your pain. Missing the vertical had to be self-inflicted punishment, but at least you had some great VPs and the oldest ones you had ever tried, so the trip was still well worthwhile!

:winepour: :wall: :D

Besides, you got to meet a few great new :ftlop: friends and that is always a great thing!
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy , merci !!
Truer words were never spoken :wink:
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Luc Gauthier wrote:I think Fred and I might share this one :
The next discovery is more personal in nature :
- It was interesting to see that the porcelain god at Sean's place accepted not only two 1963 VP's but a 1950 VP as well . :winebath:
This was also my 600th post . :salute:
Poor Luc!
I really did feel bad, but what he had the first night (when he almost died) beat the Ferreira vertical the next day ..even if most of it ended up in the thunder bucket..at least he got to taste it twice (coming and going)!
:lol:
We'll make up for it ..and next time remember to eat something before drinking three bottles!

BACK TO THE SUBJECT:
The greatest Port discovery for me was the two bottles of 1790 Chamisso Filho & Silva Port that I won at auction .. unfortunately I am not keeping either bottle but they will be kept in the good hands of other FTLOP members. I just hope I'm around if/when they are opened!
My second discovery was how well ancient Ports hold up through the years..A line up of Croft back to 1896 did not show one bad bottle even with some that were leaking and 100 years old!
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Sean , message received . . .
First purchase , a spit bucket to rival the one Fred has !!
VP's of the world , take notice :)
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Luc Gauthier wrote:Sean , message received . . .
NOOO don't do it!
just eat a loaf of bread before drinking next time!
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

Roy,

Been more overloaded than usual, and drinking more Champagne than Port, as young women seem to enjoy that too (primarily my wife I'll add, although my niece and babysitter seem to often materialize when I pop a cork) .

I'll also found a slightly chilled Colheita on a warm summer night is superb!

Ted
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sandeman labels are royal pain to soak off. Yet to remove one clean. :help:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Luc Gauthier wrote:I think Fred and I might share this one :
If you are referring to the contents of Sean's wine fridge, then add me to the party.

I tried to act as if I was cool and composed in front of Sean but I know Moses caught me with a few "holy $#!7!" looks as I snapped away a couple of photos just for my own confirmation that I was not dreaming of all this old VP! :)

I will have to think about the question being asked as I am still very new to drinking Port, in particular, VP. The answer will not be an easy one.

Todd
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sean, as you have witnessed, the bucket is not for the first night as I don't spit the great stuff, but mainly to survive the 2nd night :D

As for 2007-2008 discovery... The impressive youth of Fonseca 63 and 66. When young, side by side with Taylor, you think the latter will go further by 3 miles, but for an unknown reason, Fonseca's got the stuff to evolve at the glacial pace. I'm still stunned to see how packed and tight the flavours are, dark the color is and so young the flavours profile compared to any other ports with the same age.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:Sean, as you have witnessed, the bucket is not for the first night as I don't spit the great stuff, but mainly to survive the 2nd night :D
Fred,
You wimp :wink: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Sean, as you have witnessed, the bucket is not for the first night as I don't spit the great stuff, but mainly to survive the 2nd night :D
Fred,
Andy,

Don't worry. In Setember Fred will be spending 3 days with Uncle Tom and I in the Douro. He should be fully trained by the end of that trip :devil: :wink: :salute:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

SEAN C. wrote:
Luc Gauthier wrote:Sean , message received . . .
NOOO don't do it!
just eat a loaf of bread before drinking next time!
Sean , don't worry , the spit bucket is to put on my head , instead of a lamp shade :roll:
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

I'll admit I have neither spit nor vomited Port.
That I beleive is primarily a good thing!
Then again, I've never drank with Roy.
Any Port in a Storm
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Fred,
Andy,

Don't worry. In Setember Fred will be spending 3 days with Uncle Tom and I in the Douro. He should be fully trained by the end of that trip :devil: :wink: :salute:
Believe me Derek, I don't need any training, my liver is in Olympic shape. It just need a few hours of sleep in between tastings, which I was not able to get beceause of weird sounds coming from.... heeeerrrr I won't stool my friend here :D :D
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Ted D wrote:I'll admit I have neither spit nor vomited Port.
That I beleive is primarily a good thing!
Then again, I've never drank with Roy.
As amazing as this may sound, I have done neither as well... I can't even FATHOM spitting Port, no matter how craptacular it may be. And when I drank with Sean, it was only Moses that prevented us from doing something silly and crazy, like opening up a 1908 or 1897 Port that I never will see in my life again... ;)

In the end, Moses was the only smart one, because Sean and I were both willing and able, although the TN may have looked something like this:

"1897... something or other... VP
I know I had a Port epiphany last night, but sadly, I cannot report what I drank because I don't remember what it was. It WAS from 1897, which is about 100 years before I was born. Literally the coolest thing I have ever drank, I am saddened by the fact that I have contributed in killing a very rare bottle of something from the 19th Century, but was too drunk to really remember what it tasted like. It was good, that's all I know :oops: :drunk: :drunk: "

So good job Moses... you saved a very precious bottle from the likes of a couple of drunk and irrational port geeks! :)

:D Todd