2005 Taylor Fladgate's Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

2005 Taylor Fladgate's Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Alex R »

After 6 hours in the decanter, it had a nose of black cherries, cranberries and plum. On the palate it is medium-bodied, but lacking on the finish. With notes of plums, liquorice and a hint of black pepper. It’s not made for the long haul, but it was a nice port for the price. score 89-90 (how did i do Andy :?: ) :oops:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2005 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, is it really Alex R. doing a TN? Thanks, this was a fun read and I appreciate you making the effort and also for stopping by to enter your note.

I remember this well as I had it a few times before having an entire bottle of it last fall. The tannins were so massive that it needed so much time to open up and even be enjoyable. I am not so sure this won't age really nicely. However, I respect your opinion and wonder if the fruit is not so forward that it covers up the tannic structure as tends to happen with really young Vargellas VPs. Time will tell, but I know there is plenty of structure in there and will look forward to Andy's notes too. Six hours does not seem anywhere near long enough for this VP, that was my only concern when reading this. In fact it took about 15 hours to even get any aromatics from it, albeit that was about 8 months ago.

Nice to see you here again my friend.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good job Alex :salute: and I didn't even have to resort to :beat: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you tomorrow night.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

Hi Roy, :hello: I think you are right that it could have used more time in the decanter to open up, but it was such a last minute thing. Next time I will open much much earlier, also have you smoked that gift I sent you? I would like to see some smoking notes on it? :devil: If any. :evil: And if you need a couple more don’t hesitate to ask :salute:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Great stogie. Back in April, my brother and I attended an annual wine event in So. Fla and one late night after some outstanding wines all day long, (3 serious verticals with about 60 bottles) I opened a nice bottle of Madeira (1968 D'Oliveiras Boal) and we sat pool side and smoked the Hoyos and polished off the bottle while watching some young tarts in the pool. Thank you kindly for your generosity.

My brother said the cigar reminded him of Romeo and Julietta from Cuba. Last week, we were cruising the Caribbean with our families and I finally got to try 'em. Good but not as great as the cigar you turned me on to which is still the best one I've ever smoked.

I hope to return the hospitality someday and look forward to another late night dining experience with you and Mrs. R next time I come down your way (most likely, same time next year). Maybe this time, AV will be able to stay awake long enough to join us. :oops: Afterall, how often do you get to have such an amazing breakfast at 3 a.m.? 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Alex R wrote:\ It’s not made for the long haul, but it was a nice port for the price. score 89-90
Hard to imagine a Taylor vintage that is not made for the long haul? Has there ever been such a vintage from Taylor that declined within 30 years from the vintage?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Terra Feita 82 is on the decline.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Hard to imagine a Taylor vintage that is not made for the long haul? Has there ever been such a vintage from Taylor that declined within 30 years from the vintage?
Lets see, the 1983, 1985 just to name two :devil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy, although I've never been a fan of either of those Taylor's, I know of others who swear that they are both just finally starting to come into their own. I have little confidence that the 1983 will ever be better than it is today, nonetheless, with the 1985, I am not so sure. The last four times I've had the 1985 (since Oct. 2007) it has shown better than ever before. Regardless, I am still not impressed by the '85 and it will never be a great Port by any stretch of the imagination ... but I remember when the 1977 Taylor was a very awkward child and took until its teenage years to convince me it would turn out to be a contender and not a pretender.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

YEs but the '85 is a wee bit past being a teenager at 23 years old. Even if its young, tight, or closed up there are other signs that it will improve, I've yet to see that. You've had it more than me, and the single best bottle I've had, out of the apq 6-8 over the past few years, was a bottle direct from the cellars of Taylors last year. Its quite decent, but sub-par for Taylors in a major declared year and not worth the price. Put the Fonseca next to it and the differences are very obvious.

I agree that the '83 will never get better and IMO its time to start drinking those up.
Todd Pettinger

Re: 2005 Taylor Fladgate's Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy and I tried an ex-cellars bottle of the 1985 Taylor at a tasting he led in Edmonton in November of 2007. I remember thinking that even after 6 hours, the nose was completely muted and the flavour profile was dull and uninteresting.

After 11 hours, when they started kicking people out, I revisited the last of the glass that I was able to pour from samples others left behind (they apparently wrote it off as well) it was just starting to give off a bit of aroma that didn't remind me of dust, and the flavour was just starting to peek out a bit as well.

I would have liked to tried an entire bottle decanted for well over 24 hours to determine if there was anything to be had of this, but the price they are charging for it in Edmonton is simply ridiculous for a Port that may never live up to much. :Naughty:

I would like to try it again - perhaps I'll be able to source a cheap bottle while I am in Houston to sample again...
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Frederick Blais wrote:Terra Feita 82 is on the decline.
A bottle that I drank of this somewhere 2006 was singing.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo