#17 What is your favorite vintage of Ferreira VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#17 What is your favorite vintage of Ferreira VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ferreira is under the control of Sogrape these days, but is one of the most historic Port names in existence. There are direct links to the Grande Dame, Mme. Dona Antonia Adelaide Ferreira and the many Quintas which she purchased and owned for years. I am amazed no one has ever written a book on her, as she is one of the more colorful personalities to ever wear a dress in the Douro. Certainly she must be considered one of the greatest and most altruistic women that Portugal has ever known.

Ferreira the Port Shipper would not be around today if it were not for her tremendous spirit and efforts. I have had more old Ferreira in greater quantities than any other Port house. Most of the 19th century Ports which I've had that showed well have been from Ferreira and I have taken part in a few deep verticals of Ferreira over the years, always tremendous fun.

I very much look forward to see what young or old Vintage Port by Ferreira, is YOUR favorite!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Re: #16 What is your favorite vintage of Ferreira VP?

Post by Todd Pettinger »

1997 thusfar. It is the very first Ferreira and the best I have tried yet. Several bottles of this in my cellar. Sadly, it is not seen much of around Edmonton but when it is available, I do try to snap up some.

Sadly, I have no experience with any of the OLD Ferreira. I'll take your word on the quality my friend as I will likely never get the chance to try any real old stuff. ;)

Todd
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

First of all: I never had a Port from Ferreira which was disappointing. Even basic quality as the Dona Antonia Reserva with its beautiful Tawny charakter was a pleasure to drink. I love the 10 years and 20 years old Tawny. The first mentioned is a terrific VFM.

When it comes to vintage, I had tasted so far 1997 VP and 1999 VP. There is no doubt, that 1997VP is the better wine, but I also liked the 1999 VP, for me in the range of 89-91.

So the answer is 1997 VP.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Well, we are fresh from our Ferreira vertical http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... f=3&t=5621. Luc is not the best one to ask which is his favorite :oops:

The best Ferreira's I have had so far are '70 and '83. I can see how someone may say '80, but my case is not the best example of '80. I am pretty sure I have had '77, but liked it, but the '83 single quinta is a must buy. '70 is more like a decent top tier port and is not as "Ferreira-like"; lacks the finesse. '75 is wonderful port, but good luck finding one...

I am going with '83 as the best Ferreira vintage.
Attachments
f2.jpg
f2.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: #17 What is your favorite vintage of Ferreira VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Interesting choices so far. Anyone else?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I'd go for 75, great taste and potential.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I think I have only tasted 2 Ferreira VPs. A 1980, which was excellent, and an 1830 :shock: which was one of those once in a lifetime moments.

I have to vote for 1830, just becuase I can :wink:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek T. wrote:I think I have only tasted 2 Ferreira VPs. A 1980, which was excellent, and an 1830 :shock: which was one of those once in a lifetime moments.

I have to vote for 1830, just becuase I can :wink:
Ohhhh... you suck. :lol:

That's unfair for you to rub it in like that.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

:devil:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, given how widely distributed Ferreira is worldwide, I'd have thought this would be one of the most popular producers. Clearly, there is a lack of exposure and I am a bit surprised. Interesting!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:Wow, given how widely distributed Ferreira is worldwide, I'd have thought this would be one of the most popular producers. Clearly, there is a lack of exposure and I am a bit surprised. Interesting!
Not me. As famous as Ferreira is, just looking at how little we talk about it should be a good indicator.

Are you as equally suprized about how little we talk about Ramos Pinto and Dow? Even Warre does not get threads it should.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I can't ever find Ferreira, the only times I have ever seen any for sale I purchased everything I could. The 1963, 1970, and 1977's are impossible to find and the older ones only show up for sale every once in a while!
I guess my favorite is the 1975.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I agree with some others. Ferreira Vintage Port is next to impossible to find around my area and that is why I have so little experience with it. I can resonably find their 10 and 20 year tawny's and a couple of basics, but for some reason those same stores don't carry the VP's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

If you guys in the US can't get your hands on Ferreira wines, then get in touch with their US agent and see who in your area can order them for you. At least that way you can get hold of current vintages.

Personally, I love Ferreira's ports. Although they are not blockbusters and do not feature in my top 10, they are wonderfully balanced wines that are full of elegance and refinement.

I have only tasted 7 vintages, and out of these my favourite was the 1977. This is drinking beautifully at the moment.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Al B. wrote: Although they are not blockbusters and do not feature in my top 10, they are wonderfully balanced wines that are full of elegance and refinement.
Pretty much how I would describe Ferreira. Try the 83 Single Quinta or the 75. I think they make their Vintage to be on line with their Tawny rather than chasing the British ideal of what Vintage port should taste like. I find most of the domestic brands beating to a different drum than the British shippers/houses; not that one is "better" than another.