TN: 1908 D’Oliveira Bual

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 1908 D’Oliveira Bual

Post by David Spriggs »

• 1908 D'Oliveiras Madeira Boal - Portugal, Madeira (4/3/2008)
    Very dark brown color. Almost no rim. Huge wine! Very young. Almost tannic - unusal for such an old Madeira. Long complex finish.. many layers of coffee and bitter sweet chocolate. Awesome! (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

-Dave-
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: 1908 D'Oliveira's Bual

Post by Roy Hersh »

I enjoyed this one every bit as much as you did when we had it together in April. I've only had it a few times and it never disappoints. Fantastic juice with balance/depth/length and everything nicely tuned to hit the pleasure spots. Thanks for bringing it!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

I just bought 2 bottles of this and am happy to have them. However, I'm looking for a Sercial that would make a good cellar mate for this one. Any suggestions?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sweetstuff
You will probably get more replies once you change your user to a real name as is required here at ftlop. Thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Sorry, Andy and others. I didn't mean to violate protocols. Just having a hard time getting this website to work with my AOL, even though I'm a paid subscriber. If it bothers you, then I won't take it badly if you don't reply. My 'real' name is John Trombley, and I live in Piqua, Ohio, and since this site has changed its software I've had nothing but grief (due to my own errors, mostly, I'm sure) despite plenty of help from the administrators. I'll look for answers to my question elsewhere.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

John,

1910 Barbeito sercial is a good candidate. RWC has it in stock.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John,
Again I will do all I can to help you. if you email me (use the little icon to the right) I'm sure what ever issue your computer is having can be straightened out in short order.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

The 1903 Barbeito Sercial was one of the best I've had. Good luck finding it though... and let me know if you do!
:D
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

And for the time being, Barbeito is getting less and less available . In Norway which usually have it is in stock, none availabel at the moment of vintages. I
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

My earlier statement about the availability of 1910 sercial at RWC is no
longer correct. Barbeito 1910S is no longer in the stock list. Neither
are long-time favorites such as 1863B, 1929V, and 1948M. Is Barbeito
running out of older and not-so-old vintages?
Jim Silverman
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America - USA

Post by Jim Silverman »

I was browsing through "1001 Wines You Must Taste Before you Die" and if my (less than perfect) memory is correct, the 1908 Bual is listed.

http://www.rizzoliusa.com/catalog/displ ... 0789316837
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gary,

Having been in their cellars not long ago, I can tell you that is not the case. However, they may not have bottled more as of yet and the RWC can only sell product that is bottled and sold to them. Barbeito has pretty solid stocks and manage them carefully and sometime will not refill the pipeline immediately. Unfortunately the scarcity ... real or perceived ... or even created with intent, makes for increased pricing when new bottlings are released. Ultimately, it is just a matter of time that the stock are depleted but carefully managing these rare supplies is something that Barbeito does very well.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

As I have heard, Barbeito has stopped more or less all sales of vintage wines..
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

RWC has reloaded their stocklist with the 1910S, 1929V, 1948M, and others. The selection of non-Barbeito/D'Oliveira madeira has increased. I guess the end of the world has been delayed for a while. Price increases have not let up, though.

Good news: They have also gotten some Barbeito Faja dos Padres 1950T.
Bad news: There is a one-bottle limit per customer, and the price has doubled.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, I was not making up the story about Barbeito stock and know how they prefer to keep the pipeline filled and the way in which they do so. I spent lots of time learning these dynamics at some houses like Barbeito, D'Oliveiras, Blandy's (MWC) etc.

Tonight I'll be trying a bottle of the 1910 Sercial and am looking forward to having it. It will be well decanted by the time I get to wrap my lips around it.

John, if you are still paying attention, please let us know and I'll put together a short list of other fine Sercials to consider. You may have to change your name from Sweetstuff to Drystuff though if you continue to appreciate this style of Madeira. 8--)

That 1950 Faja dos Padres is such a beauty. Glad to see more of it has now been released and I am not surprised about the price doubling, however, that is pretty steep for such a youngster. It is a great example of what I wrote earlier in this thread:
Unfortunately the scarcity ... real or perceived ... or even created with intent, makes for increased pricing when new bottlings are released.