Why is there no Vintage Niepoort available anywhere?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Why is there no Vintage Niepoort available anywhere?

Post by SEAN C. »

Low production? Or a distribution problem?
Eric Ifune

Re: Why is there no Vintage Niepoort available anywhere?

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've seen it in Northern California.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

The distributer Martine's Wine is based in California and I know there is one also in NY state that has some hand on bottles. Niepoort does release 30 000 bottles of VP on normal declaration, not as much as Taylor but not a limited number in today's market. But for the old ones, I think the availability is more limited, even at Niepoort's opening an old VP is something special and rare comparing to Colheitas.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I have never seen much for sale anywhere especially pre 1990's vintage..can't figure out why there is so little?? How small is 30,000 compared to other producers?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

That's 2500 cases. I don't think that much is actually imported to the US. I believe that much of Niepoort's production goes to Northern European Countries (such as the Netherlands). For example, Taylor typically makes 12,000 cases of Vintage Port... and a lot of that is imported to the US. So I don't think there is that much Niepoort in the US to begin with.

-Dave-
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

SEAN C. wrote:I have never seen much for sale anywhere especially pre 1990's vintage..can't figure out why there is so little?? How small is 30,000 compared to other producers?
Niepoort is now selling to 45 different countries. Their Port were sold in the US from mid 70's if I'm not mistaken. But I do think that in the early days of the company, they use to make trades with the person closer to their home : Netherlands and then slowly expand to neighbour countries. Now that the production has increased recently, they are opening doors to new countries, mainly since Dirk arrived in 87.

Auctions mainly sells what they English drinks.... and the English like English Port house brand. If Niepoort has always been considered by the enthusiast, I think it has been under the radar of speculators for too many years.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

David Spriggs wrote:That's 2500 cases.
Wow, so no wonder I see so little of it here in Canada. Although what I pay for it, I could get likely three cases of it in the Netherlands! ;)

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

David is correct. Much of the Niepoort VPs and wines in general are slated for Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, Finland and other Northern European countries. Canada probably gets almost as much as the USA due to aggressive importers in Provinces on both coasts of Canada. The USA has always been a small market for Niepoort and he does not spend much time visiting or promoting his wines in the USA and Martine and her crew are next to invisible when it comes to Port promotion in America. This is very sad, as I am positive that if given more attention, Niepoort would rival just about any other Port company ... between great VP, Tawny, Colheitas, Garrafeiras and especially LBVs ... not to mention some bodacious Douro wines. I hope someday that the USA will become a more important market for Dirk's great lineup!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Roy,

sorry to correct you, but Austria's market soooooo small - honestly - and prices are so outrageous, that i simply can not confirm that it is a market mentionworthy.

Prices here are 70EUR at minimum - when i compare this to other countries...well, i shouldn't.

Just my 2c
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Todd wrote:
Although what I pay for it, I could get likely three cases of it in the Netherlands!
Yes, thats right Todd, we have soooooo much Niepoort here, we dont know what to do with it. Hell, we bathe in it, cook with it, feed it to the pigs and it keeps on flowing and flowing and flowing towards us.
Dirk, if you read this....STOP ! Enough is enough. :mrgreen:

But truly, a Niepoort 1985 and 1997 are still widely available for around 50-60 Euro's.
Even the real old bottles are easy to be found here although you pay alot for them aswell.
Maybe the abundance of Niepoort has to do with the fact that Niepoort was founded by Dutch and that the Netherlands have a special place in their heart ?
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Andreas Platt wrote:Roy,

sorry to correct you, but Austria's market soooooo small - honestly - and prices are so outrageous, that i simply can not confirm that it is a market mentionworthy.

Prices here are 70EUR at minimum - when i compare this to other countries...well, i shouldn't.

Just my 2c
Andreas, you should have a look here http://www.vergeinerweine.at/index.php? ... 95_196_198

According to my research Vergeiner, located in Lienz/ Austria always has best prices for Niepoort VP and LBV in Continental Europe. When on release price for Niepoort VP is under 60 EUR (currently 2005 at 58 EUR). Another good source in Austria is weinco.at-if they do have discounts (they often do have). Actually 2005 Niepoort VP is at 61,20 EUR. For Niepoort Ports (when on release) Austria is always cheaper than Germany and The Netherlands.

It's right: There is a lot of Niepoort in Germany.

Cheers
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Erik Wiechers wrote:But truly, a Niepoort 1985 and 1997 are still widely available for around 50-60 Euro's.
Even the real old bottles are easy to be found here although you pay alot for them aswell.
I have an :idea: ....
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Niepoort seems to have a good foot hold in Southern California as I see it quite often, I've even seen it in some of our basic small corner liquor stores. Their dry wines have been making a larger and larger presence also in the past few years. So I would say its really based on where you live and if the sales reps there are pushing it to the retailers.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andreas,

From my discussions with one individual in Austria who is very close to the Niepoort scene, there is not only good pricing there, but a fairly good stock of their Ports in a wide variety of wine retailers there. You live there though and I don't ... just relaying what a principal has told me.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com