September 2008 VT : Share some Warre's

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

September 2008 VT : Share some Warre's

Post by Frederick Blais »

For September, lets share our tasting notes on one great Port producer : Warre's

Anything is welcome!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Todd Pettinger

1995 Warre Late Bottled Vintage [b. 1999]

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I technically opened this on the last day of August but was still drinking on September 1, I will include my note on the
Warre’s Late Bottled Vintage Port – 1995 [bottled in 1999]
What a difference this Port showed from the last time I had it, about 6-7 months ago. Sadly, I drank through my entire stash and had but a lonely bottle tucked away in the corner for a longer-term experiment. I have been drinking an awful lot of the 1999 Warre’s LBV and when the local liquor store brought in another case of this ’95, I had to get some as I remember it being excellent. Every time I stop at the grocery store now I slide on over to this liquor store to pick up a bottle to stash downstairs.

This bottle showed a lot more mature than the last time I had it with more brown colour creeping in to the dark ruby. Bricking on the meniscus leads me to believe this may already be undergoing an aging process that I last predicted would hold this Port for 5-10 years. Cedar is present somewhere in the aroma mix and is a nice addition to a well-balanced LBV.

With a spirity-strawberry on the nose, the palate is smoother than you’d expect. With cocoa and candied grapes in the palate, a short finish makes me feel like Oliver Twist and saying “can I please have some more sir?” Sweet plums, cherries and boysenberries show up on the palate after a few hours of decanting.

As the night went on, this got better and better, reminding me of a mature VP. Perhaps a bit thin and only medium-bodied palate, it would not fool for long as a VP, but a SQVP of 20+ years is not an unreasonable guess for this wine, if served blind.
Todd Pettinger

Re: September 2008 VT : Share some Warre's

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Wow, this Virtual Tasting didn't go over so well.... or else everyone is just waiting to post their TNs for September! Being away for a couple of weeks of work travel (little access to the internet and even less TIME!!!) sure was a tough one.

I did have a Warre's VP last month but the TN is at home on the computer there. I will have to post tonight when I get a chance.

Todd
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I totally forgot about this and even forgot to start a new one for October...

I had a surprisingly good 1987 Quinta da Cavadinha Warre's VP. It was looking very young, still dark color, lots of young dark ripe berries, licorice, floral notes, dark chocolate too. the palate is smooth, very sweet, tannins are well integrated, again ripe plums, full of licorice, good acidity before the finish gets in slightly alcoholic but nothing disturbing. I'd give this a 17/20-17.5/20 It was served blind and I thought it was made from Fonseca.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Unfortunately, I was not drinking Port during the month of September almost at all, so no participation from me on the Warre's.

I am looking forward to what the new theme will be for October so we can get the momentum back, when everyone returns from vacations. :)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had a few Warre's over the past several weeks so I'll post some brief impressions.

1970 Warre's VP
No notes taken but Derek and me shared a bottle of this with the 2 B&B owners we were staying with after a very long hike in the Highlands of Scotland. One of the best showings of this I've had, everything was just in perfect harmony. TYpical elegant and seductive nose, body, and finish. So silky smooth in every way...a perfect bottle.

1987 Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha SQVP
From a 375ml bottle I picked up at the Oporto Airport when leaving Portugal. IIRC it was like 13-14 Euros 8--) A very good bottle that is typical Warre's. Still quite youthful and just faintly showing some secondary notes on the nose and palate. A very nice bottle and one that I don't recall having before.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com