Port or Madeira with your Turkey this year?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port or Madeira with your Turkey this year?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Port is the drink of the English, or at least, that was the case for centuries. Madeira on the other hand, was consumed in huge volumes here in the USA from the time that the Colonies were first formed. Thanksgiving of yesteryear would have Madeira or sometimes even Sherry to accompany the bird.

Nowadays, people choose Zin, Pinot Noir and Riesling most often and other table wines as well.

Have you considered what Port or Madeira you will serve to your family to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Also, which do you feel is the better pairing ... Port or Madeira?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Port or Madeira with your Turkey this year?

Post by David Spriggs »

I'm planning on opening a 1970 Fonseca. Should be great!

IMHO, Madeira (a Sercial or Verdelho) would be better with the food than a Port.
-Dave-
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Considering I'm the only real Port/Madeira drinker in the family, we keep it to dry wines :(
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

My family will drink either like no tomorrow. My parents were into Madeira in the late 60's- early 70's. With the actual bird, we'll have wine most likely, but I think Madeira would be perfect. Something not too sweet like a Sercial or Terrentez.

As for sherry, that is a good idea too. I adore many sherry styles, just not sure my family is too into it? Sherry is a bargain! I could just pick up a Lustau Los Arcos or Don Nuno for the heck of it.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I expect to have madeira (sercial or verdelho) and reisling (M-S-R spatlese). I will probably be the only one drinking the madeira. The indirect exception is that everyone likes a chestnut soup I have made that includes sercial. I got the recipe from Gourmet magazine around 1977. I have tried burgundy with turkey, but was not impressed by the combination.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, I was thinking a Bière de Garde or possibly a winter Saison. They are not my favorite styles, but pair well with the meal. A spiced ale is also a possibility. Dessert may call for port.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gary,

Given my druthers, there is nothing I enjoy more with Thanksgiving turkey than a fine Burgundy. I find the pairing is "complete" and texturally as perfect as the flavor profile combo. But that is just me.

Andy,

The good news for you, is that you can always wait for dessert!

Moses,

I have done Sherry with Pheasant and Quail and it goes great with game birds. I prefer something along the lines of an Amontillado and can't handle the dryness of a Fino. I drank many more Sherry bottles in the 1990s and nowadays it is very rare for me to taste any, except PX for dessert.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I usually wait to get home to have a glass or two of Port. I am literally the only one in my family that drinks it. My brother, as much of a wine drinker as he is, is not a Port drinker....oh well, more for me :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Seriously, Tony doesn't even like the stuff? :shock: I had no idea!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Roy, I know you've always touted Verdelho with fried chicken. I've not tried that yet, but think it would go with turkey and the fixens. May have to try it this year after the Champagne.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Seriously, Tony doesn't even like the stuff? :shock: I had no idea!
Nope. On a rare occasion he'll have a glass of Port or Madeira that I give him, but he rarely ever drinks it.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

From a purely gastronomic point of view, I think the relatively dry meat of the turkey is best consumed with a fully mature claret.

By all means enjoy a glass of madeira before you sit down, and a decanter of portugal's finest to conclude.. :P

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Seriously, Tony doesn't even like the stuff? :shock: I had no idea!
Nope. On a rare occasion he'll have a glass of Port or Madeira that I give him, but he rarely ever drinks it.
Andy, your brother and I seem to have a lot in common :P

If someone would be kind enough to let me know when Thanksgiving happens I will treat it as a special occassion and open a bottle of port to join you in giving thanks for whatever it is you feel the need to be thankful for. :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,
Thats ok, I just look at it as being more for me to drink :D

Its on thursday November 27th this year.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Derek T. wrote:If someone would be kind enough to let me know when Thanksgiving happens I will treat it as a special occassion and open a bottle of port to join you in giving thanks for whatever it is you feel the need to be thankful for. :wink:

Derek
We are thankful for being able to even have such a meal with family & friends; and that can be celebrated any day. Many places in the World are not as lucky and we should reflect & be thankful for what we have and can give.

We are (historically lucky) that the Pilgrims made it to the US and natives didn't kill them when they arrived.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I will be having Port with my turkey this year, but I haven't settled on exactly which one yet.

My sister-in-law was born in 1966 and I just happen to have a bottle of the 1966 Kopke Colheita, so I may take that back to KC with me to open. I'm also considering taking my recently aquired 1963 Fonseca back to open as I'm not sure how long it will last with a badly damaged capsule (which happened a couple of months ago). Or I may take a couple of recently acquired 1977s instead... choices, choices!
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:I'm also considering taking my recently aquired 1963 Fonseca back to open as I'm not sure how long it will last with a badly damaged capsule (which happened a couple of months ago).
Glenn,

Is the cork still intact? If so, I wouldn't worry about the capsule. The cork provides the primary seal and many bottles survive decades in the producers cellars without capsules. Many modern bottles even have air holes in the capsules, which renders them completely irrelevant in terms of providing a seal. Unless it is showing signs of leaking your F63 will last for years if not decades.

Derek
Rich N.
Location: San Francisco, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich N. »

Wow, until recently I would never have considered such a concept and I do consider myself a bit of a "foodie".

For many years I've been a bit of a Beujelais Nouveau fan with turkey, but considering some of the various tastes present, I can actually see enjoying a nice vintage with the main event (I tend to be the chef at Turkey day)...

Roy, you've definitely given me something new to shoot for and a challenge to craft a stuffing/dressing + sidedish combo that is worthy of a good port!

Rich
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Rich,

I am not sure if you get the :ftlop: newsletter, but there is a section on the one that is about to be launched with a great Turkey and Port recipe that you may want to check out. If you don't get the newsletter, remind me on Monday by email and I'll send you a copy to check out.

Derek wrote:
If someone would be kind enough to let me know when Thanksgiving happens I will treat it as a special occassion and open a bottle of port to join you in giving thanks for whatever it is you feel the need to be thankful for.
We're thankful the Portuguese decided to make America their prime market for Madeira (although not even close, with Port ... except for VP). Thankful that gas prices are heading South along with many a smart Turkey. Thankful that the World Series ended so quickly. Thankful that the most powerful Turkey in America, will be replaced by a better man (whoever it winds up being) on Jan. 20, 2009. Thankful that pilgrims chose to eat Turkeys instead of dogs or cats, or rodents for that matter. Thankful that the English decided to buy less expensive Port at a time when buying Claret and other French wine, was en vogue in the early 18th Century. Thankful for Paul Draper, who understand pairing wine with Turkey. But most of all, thankful to be surrounded by good friends and family on a holiday once a year where we get four days off in a row and don't have to feel guilty for eating and drinking well.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Derek T. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I'm also considering taking my recently aquired 1963 Fonseca back to open as I'm not sure how long it will last with a badly damaged capsule (which happened a couple of months ago).
Is the cork still intact? If so, I wouldn't worry about the capsule. The cork provides the primary seal and many bottles survive decades in the producers cellars without capsules. Many modern bottles even have air holes in the capsules, which renders them completely irrelevant in terms of providing a seal. Unless it is showing signs of leaking your F63 will last for years if not decades.
The cork is still intact, but it is completely soaked through and moist. I will be checking the bottle this weekend to make sure that it isn't seeping into my wine fridge, because it was moist enough when I received it that I wouldn't have guaranteed that it wouldn't drip.

There are no signs of prior leaking, though, so I'm pretty sure that any/all of the damage occured in the last couple of months.
Glenn Elliott