Vertically Speaking - historic Cockburn's Tasting & Dinner

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Vertically Speaking - historic Cockburn's Tasting & Dinner

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last night more than a dozen serious Port aficionados met up in London, nearly all of them current or past posters here on FTLOP to enjoy an outstanding lineup of 2 dozen vintage Cockburn's Ports going back to 1896. In addition, the organizers (Alex B. and Derek T.) had arranged to have Miguel Corte-Real, the Cockburn's winemaker and technical director, to join us to share his Port wisdom with the participants.

I will be including a thorough article and tasting notes on all of the fine Ports at this event, in the upcoming November :ftlop: newsletter, for anybody who is interested. This was a historic tasting and possibly the greatest lineup of Cockburn's ever assembled in one place for a tasting.

My sincere thanks to Alex and Derek for their hard work! :salute:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Vertically Speaking - historic Cockburn's Tasting & Dinner

Post by Moses Botbol »

How was that 1896 "Cockburn"?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

This was great fun I met and hopefully made good friends Roy who I've never met before made some good comments not always what a shipper wants to hear,but that in my mind is unimportant the port and the company was great in fact the company outstripped the port .As my wife said she is not a fan of Cockburns but still enjoyed the foray,It was good to put names to faces( I can't imagine how Roy thought I was a country squire :shock: but I imagined him a bit broader which is not true.I see him in a slightly different light as he does me :mrgreen: I'll let others post first.(1912,77,60 or 67)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

This was quite the occasion and was a tremendous tasting. Having the wines introduced by Miguel Corte-Real was a real privilege and certainly gave a good insight into some very lovely wines.

The "1895 Cockburn ?" had a branded cork but the fat end of the cork was very dark and only the first part of the branding could be made out. Very clear was the two digits "18..." but nothing after that. There was some debate whether the visible letters read "TAY..." or "CAL..."

The cork is currently with Uncle Tom and awaiting his next delivery of bleach to see if any of the dark stain can be lightened to allow more of the branding to become visible.

The "1924 believed Cockburn" which was not a vintage declared by Cockburn had a cork branded "VINTAGE 1924". Miguel's thoughts as he tasted the port after about 5 hours of decanting time was that it was certainly not a Cockburn but was showing the characteristics of a port from the lower Douro, such as Croft.

But most of all - this was a real fun evening which started with breakfast at 9:30 as Julian and I met to begin the decanting and finished at 2am when I left Roy, Sean, Andy, Derek and Nicos with their glasses and bottles and the excuse that I had to be in the office later that morning.

And I made it in to the office and performed a good day's work!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

That was one GREAT tasting! Pleasure to meet new faces and see some old ones as well. More later, but just a quick note to say the 18?? bottle's cork cleary stated "TAYL" then "18" under it. I pulled the cork on that one and the three of us that were decanting all the wines all agreed that it was clearly "TAYL" , the last letters blacked out from the discoloration of the cork from the Port. Tom was the only one to say it said "VINT" which I have no way of figuring out how he made that out. Miguel also stated, after tasting it, that it was definitely NOT a Cockburn's. Either way it was a fun Port, after all, how often does one have a VP over 100 years old.

I also want to thank Miguel for coming all the way from Portugal to share his knowledge with us and also the mysterious 1977 VP. It was also a VERY true pleasure to help him celebrate his 30th year at Cockburn. Miguel thank you again and congratulations on your anniversary with Cockburn's :salute:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is hard to believe that just a few short weeks ago we had this tasting. I am in the midst of transcribing my handwritten TNs for the newsletter and photos too. What a great memory of this fine evening at The Crusting Pipe. It seems like yesterday!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I finally got around to downloading all my pictures from the trip onto my computer yesterday. Hard to believe its already been 3 weeks since we did this and the many other gatherings to share Port and catch up with old and new friends. Going through the pictures brought a huge smile to my face and MANY great memories
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A huge smile? :shock:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:A huge smile? :shock:
Lets hope not :lol:
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Is this correct that the "1895" Cockburn was in fact a 1927 Taylor?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, according to Uncle Tom, his scientific conclusion is exactly that.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the extensive write-up in the newsletter Roy. It was a very enjoyable read. :)
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Ronnie,

Very generous and appreciated! Actually it was my humble pleasure to document that experience.

Do you think it would have helped posting Miguel's scores too? He sent them to me recently and I considered adding them too.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:Do you think it would have helped posting Miguel's scores too? He sent them to me recently and I considered adding them too.
Personally, I would realy like to see Miguel's scores.
-Dave-
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Do you think it would have helped posting Miguel's scores too? He sent them to me recently and I considered adding them too.
Personally, I would realy like to see Miguel's scores.
-Dave-
I know we talked about them and his thoughts, but I would love to read his notes if he allows them to be posted.