1948 and 1968 Blandy's Bual

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

1948 and 1968 Blandy's Bual

Post by Ray Barnes »

Hello and I wish to thank Roy for his very kind invitation to come here. I would love to hear some input from the members on these old vintages. I am contemplating a purchase of either or both of them. Thanks.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1948 and 1968 Blandy's Bual

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Ray,

From my experience and given that I have a long rapport with the 1968, believing it to be the best young Vintage Madeira available and at a reasonable price too, to me the choice is a simple one.

Thanks for joining us. I hope others will also post their preferences as palates differ and i know of a handful of folks here (if not more) that have enjoyed the 1948 too. Come on back and visit us again!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Re: 1948 and 1968 Blandy's Bual

Post by Ray Barnes »

Thank you Roy and my apologies for referring to a 1948 as an old vintage. Sorry to say I have read a little about madeira and tried some blended bottlings and loved them all. There is something about the sheer tang or bite or cut or whatever the correct term is that makes madeira very special and unique. I have never had a vintage madeira. In metro Vancouver BC Canada, the Provincial Government Liquor Stores do not officially have any vintage madeira in inventory. A few private specialty stores have the odd bottle.

This should be quite a learning experience. I am looking forward to finding a great 1968 as an introduction to this rare and special part of the wine world.